The Decline of Adam Sandler


"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." — The Principal, "Billy Madison"

I love that quote from "Billy Madison." I think about it often. It is one of the funniest moments from a classic Sandler film. Now, sadly, it could be applied to Sandler's films...

Last year, I thought we'd reached a new low with "Jack & Jill." The film swept the Golden Raspberry Awards, and for good reason. Sandler appeared as himself and his twin sister, he had uncomfortable "romantic" moments with Al Pacino, and the entire film felt like a cinematic cry for help.

But it turns out bottom was yet to come. Today, in honor of Father's Day, Sandler opens his latest opus to comedy failure, "That's My Boy." In this film he plays a loser in a film meant to shed a comedic light on inappropriate affairs between students and teachers, and the state of arrested development it leaves the victims of said affairs in. Hilarious...

I used to look forward to Sandler's annual or semi-annual offerings. I still love "The Wedding Singer," "Billy Madison," "50 First Dates," and "Mr. Deeds," among others, but the last few years have been a horror show. And with this latest offering, "That's My Boy," it only looks to get worse.

Somewhere inside is the Sandler we used to love. Maybe someday it will return to the big screen too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43