Saying Goodbye


“Don't be dismayed at goodbyes, a farewell is necessary before you can meet again and meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” — Richard Bach

Seven years ago, my life was profoundly changed. I was three years out of college, I was immersed in my work at the Paso Robles Press, and I thought my life was fine. I worked long, hard hours at a labor of love, and I took my quiet moments on Sundays to watch football, movies, or catch up on rest.

What I didn’t know is that God was opening a door in my life and a door in my heart that would lead me on the greatest adventure of my life. And that adventure began with a phone call.

The voice on the other end said he and his brother were starting a church and would love it if we did a story. I took the note down, handed off the assignment, and continued on my routine. But when God is calling out for you, when He is chasing after you, you don’t get off that easy.

A couple weeks later I needed a nice cover story for Easter. My community reporter was out with an illness and I remembered the call I’d gotten about the new church. I resigned myself to having to write the story, made the call, set up the interview, and went downtown to meet the brothers, Graham and Jamie Baird.

In that 45-minute meeting in a downtown office, my life was changed forever. But I didn’t know it at the time. God was reaching out to fill a space in my heart that I didn’t even know was empty.

I came on that first Sunday morning to worship during Highlands’ first service in the empty field, and I’ve been coming ever since. Graham used to joke that I’d actually been to more services at this church than him. I don’t know if that’s true, but I do know that I never felt more at home then when I was here.

In 2009, God called me again — this time into His service. I have been blessed to be a part of the staff and the work of Highlands these last three years. But we all know there are seasons in life, and God brings people and places into your life for seasons. My season at Highlands is ending.

This month I am getting married and starting a new phase of my journey, and I have again felt God’s call. Like all the other times He’s reached out to me, it came at an unexpected moment, and is leading me on an unexpected journey.

At the end of this month, Lindsay and I will journey to Colorado Springs to be part of the work at fellowship at First Presbyterian Church Colorado Springs.

I am excited for the new opportunities God has placed in front of me as I continue my journey in Colorado Springs. I know God will use my skills, and all the experience I gained at Highlands to further His Kingdom.

But going is bittersweet. I am excited to meet the new challenges God has laid out for my life, but my heart grieves to leave behind so many friends, colleagues, and brothers and sisters in Christ at Highlands. My time here has left an indelible mark on my life, and I am grateful each day for the people God brought into my life for this season.

And though some of the faces change, I know God’s not done with the wonderful work that began through Highlands Church on April 16, 2006. I know the next phase of the journey is just beginning!

Know the congregation here will remain in my thoughts, prayers, and, most of all, my heart. Thank you to all that have made this season of my life such a special one.

Comments

  1. Matt,

    I have enjoyed getting to know you. You have changed my outlook on how to watch movies, mainstream and Christian based. I will really miss those classes. I loved how you shared your passion of film with us. It is getting harder and harder to find people with genuine passion for things that matter to them and others.

    I pray that God blesses you and your new experiences in Colorado. You are an amazing tool in the hands of our Savior Jesus Christ. Your God blessed wisdom has ignited inspiration in me, and I will cherish our friendship always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,
    Thanks for all the kind words, your support, and your great insights over our class sessions. It has been great getting to know you better and having you as a part of the Faith in Film experience. I always did the class for the people who attended, and I have always enjoyed the fact it was a forum for sharing faith, passion, and ideas. I will miss that part of the fellowship at Highlands greatly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43