Best of TV, Rebuttal No. 2


Here's the final rebuttal post in the Best of TV exploration I've gone through this summer. This is probably the best comedy NBC has produced, and was one of the toughest cuts on my original list.

Seinfeld (1990-1998)
Network: NBC
Synopsis: I love "Seinfeld." It was part of what made Thursdays on NBC great when I was in junior high and high school. I loved the comedy. I loved the performances. I loved the off-beat way the show was put together. If "Friends" was the most mass appeal, traditional sitcom, "Seinfeld" showed that a smart comedy made well could grab huge ratings too. This show nearly made it on my original list, and was probably the first out. I didn't even realize how much I missed the "Seinfeld" humor until season 7 of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," Larry David's HBO comedy, which staged a "Seinfeld" reunion during that season. For nine seasons, "Seinfeld" continued to grow. When it started, the show nearly didn't make it. In fact, considering the way networks pull the trigger today, one has to wonder if a show like "Seinfeld" could survive today. That makes it so much more impressive. You could certainly quibble with the way the show ended — a series finale that failed to deliver on any of the finer points of what made the show wonderful. But "Seinfeld" remains one of the finest comedies of all time, and a perennial audience favorite.
Where To Find It: All nine seasons of "Seinfeld" are available on DVD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43