Winter Is Coming

"I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you are safe and happy, and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid." — Tyrion Lannister

When "Game of Thrones" premiered in April 2011, I didn't know what to think. I wasn't familiar with the books, Fantasy isn't  my favorite genre, and all I read was that it has lots of sex and violence. That seemed fitting to HBO, but I wasn't sure it was for me.

It turned out the show had a dense world, did have a lot of sex and violence, and was a fantasy epic. But it wasn't what I expected. By the time episode nine of the first season rolled around, I was hooked. Now all the books line my shelves and I can't wait for the third season to premier tomorrow night.

My guess is HBO is pretty excited too, as the show has fast become the signature show for the network. Here's a few reasons why it's one of the most fascinating shows on TV.

1. It defies expectations. Sure, if you read the books you know what's coming. But for a show, it is one that defies your typical expectations for characters, story, and plot. That makes it fascinating and exciting.

2. It has rich characters. Even characters that could have verged toward cliche have depth, which is what makes them complicated and fascinating. That helps draw you in and keep you hooked.

3. Tyrion Lannister. As played by Peter Dinklage, Tyrion is not only the most interesting and amusing character in the show, he's one of the best characters on television.

It's never too late to jump in, so if you want to dive into a rich fantasy world, give "Game of Thrones" a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43