Jurassic Park, 20 years later


"The world has just changed so radically, and we're all running to catch up. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but look... Dinosaurs and man, two species separated by 65 million years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?" — Dr. Grant, "Jurassic Park."

I remember the first time I saw "Jurassic Park." I was 12 and it was a field trip from summer camp. The movie was great, but the experience was magical. I remember seeing the dinosaurs, seeing the story, and being completely hooked.

It wasn't long after that my life-long love affair with Michael Crichton began. I read the novel of "Jurassic Park" in just a few days. It was the first time I'd really tackled something that extensive and done it of my own accord. I now have all of Crichton's novels and have read most of them, but I still always remember "Jurassic Park."

The film is also a great example of my theory on book adaptations. If you see the film first, it's still possible to love both the book and movie. If you see the movie after reading the book, it just won't live up to your expectations.

I love "Jurassic Park," it's one of my top 10 favorite films of all time, but it doesn't compare to the novel. A lot of changes were made in order for it to feel more like a Spielberg film. When I watch the film, I still love and appreciate it for what it is despite the fact I think the story in the book is better. Had I read the book first, well let's just say I don't think I'd be writing this post.

Another reason it's amazing to think that "Jurassic Park" was made 20 years ago is the special effects. "Jurassic Park" was one of the first crowning achievements of the magicians at Industrial Lights and Magic. What they did bringing the dinosaurs and world of Crichton's book to life was amazing. Two decades later, the effects still hold up. In fact, the movie today looks better than some of the heavily effects driven films released in the last five years.

And now, the film is back in theaters. Most of the time I cringe at the new 3D fad. I don't think it adds a lot to the final production except at the Box Office. But it has led to a wave of classic films being re-released. In the case of a film like "Jurassic Park," that gives a whole new generation of moviegoers a chance to experience the magic of the film in a way that can only happen in a theater.

So if you've never seen "Jurassic Park," head out this weekend and check it out. You won't be disappointed. And if you've seen it before, just go again and experience the magic all over!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43