Guilty Pleasure Comedies — Bring It On


My look at guilty pleasure films continues today with the third comedy entry.

Bring It On (2000)
Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku, Jesse Bradford, and Gabrielle Union
About: On paper a movie about high school cheerleaders doesn't sound great. And I will admit I'm probably not the target demographic for this film, but there is something about it that I find hilarious and entertaining. I first saw the film in college and soon had my own copy on DVD. I will say, too, this is one of the rare DVDs where the commentary and the pop fact mode with cheerleading facts adds to the entertainment value of the film. But, really, this is about quirky characters, a ridiculous story, and some humor. The script from Jessica Bendinger has a lot of witty moments, including a great introductory sequence and song. She tried to recapture that magic a few years later with the gymnastics movie "Stick It," but it doesn't quite work the same. This film, however, remains a guilty pleasure classic. It's ridiculous, but that's part of its charm.
Rating: PG-13 for sex-related material and language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43