Less is More


When you read about Gideon in the Bible, there's a lot to take in. First, he tested the Lord because he wasn't sure he believed what he was being told. Of course we think critically of Gideon for his lack of faith, but you have to wonder if we'd be any different. After all the Disciples, the people that spent the most time with Jesus in the flesh, went through periods of doubt. Doubt is a natural part of what it is to be humans.

Then we come to Gideon and the battle. He has a big army so he feels good about his chances, then God reduces his forces. He ends up with just a few hundred soldiers going into the battle. While it seems like long odd, Gideon prevails because the Lord is with him. The Lord knew what was needed, which was less than what Gideon thought he needed, and provided a way for him.

The same is true of us. We have a lot of things we think we need. We have a lot of things that we think are important. But God knows what we really need. Whether it's a job, money, possessions, or family, God knows what we need and provides. We just have to trust Him.

That, of course, is the hard part. I remember in college I was singularly focused on becoming Editor in Chief of the college paper as a senior. It didn't happen. I was crushed. I was lost. I was angry. But God knew what I needed. He provided a different path, and despite how I felt I was wise enough to say yes.

That job ended up being the best year of college. I didn't for a minute miss the job I thought I had to have. In fact, it was that year I branched out from sports and started reviewing films, something I've done for years since and have become passionate about. That's because God took what I thought I needed and showed me a different way.

It happened for Gideon, too, he just didn't realize it. The same happens for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43