Returning to the 'Newsroom'


"I can only report what I know. I'm not allowed to get involved with advocacy and neither are you." — Will McAvoy, "Newsroom"

I have always loved Aaron Sorkin's writing. I was a big fan of "Sports Night" when it debuted on ABC, and I faithfully watched all seven seasons of "The West Wing." When, coming off an Academy Award for "The Social Network," it was announced that Sorkin had a new show on HBO, I was pumped.

"Newsroom" debuted to mixed reviews last summer. It had his trademark dialogue, and it had some fascinating moments, but it felt odd to be taking a trip back in time and looking at news that was two years old as if it was something fresh. I didn't hate "Newsroom," in fact I kind of liked it, but I wasn't sold.

I have heard Sorkin's rationale for why he focuses on real news stories from the past. It's not about the stories, it's about how people embrace the stories and react. It's supposed to be about the characters and how they respond to the news. But having it be in the real world, only two years back, doesn't quite work for me.

I loved the way "The West Wing" tackled current issues or interesting stories by setting up a fictional world. There was enough detachment that we could discuss the larger ideas and enjoy the character reactions without feeling trapped in the recent past. In fact, it's even better because who wants to relive the recent past? "Sports Night" did the same with sports. The show tackled current issues, but did it through a sort of alternative sports world. That allowed you to focus on the characters more.

"Newsroom" is trying to find its groove in season two, and after two episodes it remains a good, enjoyable, and flawed finished product. I'm not too interested in following the 2012 Presidential campaign trail or Occupy Wall Street, but I understand that's the show's conceit. You either live with it or you turn away.

The dialogue is still there. The ideas and values are still there. And the show continues to offer some interesting characters. While I'm not sure it deserved to be in the Emmy race, it remains an enjoyable and compelling drama. Sometimes that's all you can hope for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43