Guilty Pleasure Drama — Congo


Today I continue my Guilty Pleasure series with the final drama entry.

Congo (1995)
Starring: Laura Linney, Dylan Walsh, Bruce Campbell, Joe Don Baker, Ernie Hudson, and Tim Curry
About: I'm not going to claim this is an incredible movie, but I do think it gets a bum wrap. Most people don't really think of "Congo," but if they do they don't think highly of it. Still, it might be one of the most faithful adaptations of a Michael Crichton novel. And the screenplay comes from playwright John Patrick Shanley, who gave the world "Doubt." The film also has a pretty decent cast, an interesting story, and a good flow. Would the special effects be better if the film wasn't 18 years old? Yes. Is this the deepest film? No. Still, it's entertaining and has a fun vibe and story. I love Crichton books, so I'm not exactly impartial. But of his books that were adapted into film, setting aside the gold standard in "Jurassic Park" (which isn't the greatest adaptation of the material but is a great film), I like "Congo" best. Plus, since it wasn't popular at the time, it's a film you might not have seen.
Rating: PG-13 for jungle adventure terror and action and brief strong language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43