A Mighty Wind


"The autumn wind is a pirate. Blustering in from sea with a rollicking song he sweeps along swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten, he wears a hooded sash with a silver hat about his head... The autumn wind is a Raider, pillaging just for fun." — Steve Sabol

Yesterday was windy here in Colorado Springs. Actually, that's an understatement, it was blowing harder than I've ever experienced. I thought maybe that was my California showing, but speaking to a person in my Sunday School class from Hurricane country, he said that was one of the strongest winds he'd ever experienced. I felt relieved that it was not my imagination.

Watching the news, they reported that we experienced sustained winds in the 30s and 40s as well as gusts between 55 and 73 miles per hour. I like my speed limits in the 70s, not the wind. And, as luck would have it, not only did we have to be out and about in the wind, we also had to leave our house and stay somewhere else for the night.

As I was leaving my house, I saw a roof tile blow off my roof into the driveway. I saw the gutter beginning to break free, and I couldn't help but fret about what might happen. All throughout the night, I wondered how our little house was faring. It's my first house, and it's been a great joy but also a great responsibility. When we have raging storms, I think about my house. So being away, I couldn't help but imagine the worst.

As I lay in bed, thinking on the weather, I did the only thing I could. I prayed. I asked God to calm the wind, to protect our little house, and, more importantly, to calm my spirit. I know what the Bible says about worry. I know what Jesus said about worry. It doesn't benefit me any. Still, sometimes I struggle.

In the light of day, with naught but a breeze swirling this afternoon, I looked in on my house. As it always is, things were worse in my mind than in reality. Our little house might be a little bruised, but it's hardly broken. God kept His promise. He calmed my spirits, He calmed the wind, and He guarded our little house.

Sometimes storms serve a higher purpose. They can strengthen your faith, make you appreciate the little things, and force a little personal growth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43