Two Brave additions to the Hall


When I was in high school, I started watching more baseball. I kind of liked the Dodgers, because I lived in California, but staying up until 10:30 p.m. to watch games was daunting. The Atlanta Braves were a different story.

Usually I'd come home about 4 p.m. and start homework. During that time I'd flip on the TV, and there on TBS almost every day during the spring and early fall were Braves games. So I'd watch the team, do my homework, then head to dinner and the rest of the evening. But during those afternoons, I fell in love with the Braves.

Most people wonder why a California boy is a Braves fan, but it's right there in those afternoons we spent together. And when I think of those times, four players come to mind — Chipper Jones, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, and most especially Greg Maddux. On Wednesday, Glavine and Maddux were elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility.

I loved watching the Braves' big three pitch. Smoltz was the power pitcher, Glavine brought it from the left side, but Maddux was my favorite. He didn't have the biggest arm or the best stuff, but he was precise. He was a precision pitcher, and when he was in a zone no one was better. He was an efficient machine, and he was fun to watch.

Maddux dominated as a pitcher for a good stretch as the Braves were the most reliable regular season team in baseball. He also dominated in the Post Season awards, which was fun. While Maddux and Glavine combined for only one World Series title, they were an incredible and dynamic duo.

Maddux finished his career as a Dodger and Padre, and he began as a member of the Chicago Cubs. Glavine finished up spending some years with the New York Mets. But to me, they'll both always be Braves. And I couldn't be happier that they've both punched their ticket to the Hall of Fame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43