Academy Award Nominees — The Acting Awards


The Academy Awards take place Sunday night. As we approach, I'm previewing the big races. Today we'll look at the four acting races. Look for picks in all 24 categories on Sunday.

Best Actor:
What a race. It's easy to say that four of the nominees in this category have a shot at the award, and that's without counting the wonderful work by Christian Bale in "American Hustle." I think Bruce Dern is a long-shot, but could get some sentimental votes for his body of work. Matthew McConaughey is the favorite, and will probably win, but Chiwetel Ejiofor and Leonardo DiCaprio have their backers. It's a tough call for me, too. I think any of the three is worthy, but if I had to pick a favorite performance it would be DiCaprio. This came from some thinking about his film, "The Wolf of Wall Street," which tells a rough story. It is DiCaprio's beautiful, committed performance that makes that movie go. With a lesser actor or performance, that film might not be watchable. The question is whether he has enough to surge ahead, or whether McConaughey will continue to reign in this race. But don't count out Ejiofor, as "12 Years A Slave" might have big momentum as a film.

Best Actress:
This is the category that most feel is the closest thing to a lock, with Cate Blanchett predicted to win. She gives a great performance, but I didn't care for her character or film. If others feel the same, or the recent controversy about Woody Allen has an effect, that could crack open the door. I think there are three others who could have a shot. Judi Dench shined in "Philomena," the little movie that could. Meanwhile Amy Adams has been nominated a lot but never won, and could ride the tide of her Golden Globe win. My problem with her performance is that, while good, I didn't think it was even the best in the film. Sandra Bullock seems to have faded from contention for her work in "Gravity," which is a shame. The movie is a technical achievement, yes, but it's also emotionally resonant because of her fine work in the film. That is my favorite performance in the category, and I would be thrilled to see her win. I just don't expect it.

Best Supporting Actor:
This feels like another category that is somewhat of a lock. Jared Leto, for his great work as the transgendered Rayon in "Dallas Buyers Club," has dominated most of the awards this season. And he is the heavy favorite here. But a dark horse is Barkhad Abdi, a newcomer who wowed in "Captain Phillips." Abdi won the BAFTA, and could play the role of spoiler here. I don't expect it, but it's a possibility.

Best Supporting Actress:
This honestly might be the biggest coin flip of the night. There is some push and sentiment for June Squibb, who was delightful and charming in "Nebraska," but this seems to be a tight, two-horse race between Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle" and Lupita Nyong'o in "12 Years A Slave." Many think Nyong'o will pull it out, but she and Lawrence have split most of the major awards. Both performances are great, and both actresses are incredibly worthy. I am torn on this, because I thought both were great, but if I had to choose, I think Lawrence turns in the better, more fascinating performance. That being said, I think Nyong'o is more likely to hear her name called on Sunday night. Either way, a worthy woman will be honored here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43