Bigger Plans


"People break down into two groups. When they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation is a fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope. See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences? " — Graham Hess, "Signs."

I was watching "Person of Interest" this week and I was struck by something that's become too common in our entertainment, which I think is a reflection of our larger world. People struggle with the idea that there is a bigger plan, that there is a purpose for everything in our lives.

I think this struggle comes to us most when we encounter disappointment or sadness. One of my favorite movies in recent years was "Tree of Life." It's an acquired taste, to be sure, as it lacks narrative structure and a coherent story. But that's not the point of the film.

Terrence Malick suffered a loss in his life. He wants to believe it was for a reason, for a larger purpose. He wants to believe all that is said about God. But this event left him shaken to his core, then guilty for his doubt. "Tree of Life" is an expression of that internal struggle. I was moved by that because if we're all honest, we've all had similar times of doubt and confusion.

I've had a hard week. I'm probably not alone in that. I've struggled with a mix of feelings and conflicting emotions. It was ironic, then, that the chapter I had to read for Sunday School was about anger. The latter part of the chapter talked about anger toward God, which the author noted is a sin.

I struggled with that section, reading it over a few times. In the intellectual part of my brain, I recognized the truth in what was said. In the emotional part of my brain, I felt hurt and frustration. That is the struggle. That is what it means to be human, to grapple with our fallen, sin nature.

The Apostle Paul understood that. In the middle of Romans he said, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." (Romans 7:15) We want to believe there is a plan. We want to believe God loves us, is guiding us, and has our best interests at heart. But we struggle against the part of ourselves that allows the doubt to creep in.

It comes down to trust. Trust is a word that is throw around a lot, and it's something that's very important, but it's not easy. It relates to last week's discussion on faith. People who think it's easy to have faith are crazy. Faith is hard. It takes a leap. It takes trust.

I think of the quote Graham Hess gives in "Signs" that I started this post with. He asks which kind of person his brother is, but he could really be asking us. If we're honest, at different points in time, we're probably a little bit of both. But when you read the Scriptures, it's undeniable that we are part of a larger fabric. God has a plan for us all, and He's had that plan since before we were born.

I want to be the kind of person that believes there are no coincidences. I want to be the person who trusts there's a bigger plan. I pray every day that God would help me live into those desires.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43