Spring TV Roundup, Week 5


New shows continue to make their way to us, and I continue to watch them. In this space each week I review the pilot and second episode of each new show this spring. If you don't see a new show's recap below, please check previous weeks!

Wednesday Nights:
The 100, Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on the CW
About: As I've mentioned before, I am not the target demographic for the CW, which is aimed at people age 18-24. Still, every network rolls out a variety of shows, and some of them click. I enjoyed "Supernatural," and sort of bought into "Arrow" last fall. So far this year I haven't been enamored of the new shows on the CW. "The Tomorrow People," "Reign" and "Star Crossed" didn't really click with me, though I know they've clicked with some older adults and the target demographic. I was surprised, however, at how much I enjoyed the pilot for "The 100," a sci-fi odyssey that seems to be a cut above the typical teen fare. Sure, the teen characters didn't really click for me but I liked the premise and the adult performers. This is a story that I could see developing into something fascinating. Of course I'm the guy that watched all of "Terra Nova" and was bummed when it got cancelled, so maybe I'm predisposed to like this kind of story. Either way, "The 100" felt like a possible winner.
Pilot Grade: B+

Doll and Em, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on HBO
About: This is the latest obscure comedy from HBO. It comes from Emily Mortimer and her real-life friend, Dolly Wells, playing loose versions of themselves. I took it HBO wasn't wild about the show since it's being dumped on Wednesday nights, rather than the typical Sunday night slot for original programming. After watching the first two episodes on Wednesday, I could see why. This show doesn't really work. Much like "Hello Ladies," which premiered in the fall, this show thinks it's more clever than it is. It's an insider Hollywood comedy that doesn't generate a lot of laughs. I like Mortimer in "The Newsroom," but I didn't really care for the version of herself she is playing here. Unlike "Episodes," which uses a similar conceit to great effect with Matt LeBlanc, this show was a big swing and a miss.
Pilot Grade: D
Second Episode: D

Sunday Nights:
Crisis, Sundays at 10 p.m. on NBC
About: This is half of NBC's ambitious new slate on Sunday nights. I looked at the first two episodes of "Believe" last week, as well as the pilot for "Crisis." Of the two, I like "Crisis" a bit better. I can't argue that there are some aspects of this production that are on the laughable side. For example, some of the effects and the look of some of the characters doesn't really work. There are also elements of the story that feel a bit implausible, and I don't know how this works as a long-term series. Perhaps the idea here is a limited series, or perhaps it's a new crisis each season with some different characters. Either way, based on the first two weeks of ratings, it might not matter. That being said, there is something oddly compelling about the show. I am curious to see where it goes and I think most of the actors have done a good job creating characters. It's not without its quirks, but I think "Crisis" is worth investing in, just don't think about it too hard.
Pilot grade: A-
Second Episode: B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43