2014 NFL Preview, AFC East


Today I continue my 2014 NFL previews by division with the AFC East. I am going in order of weakest to strongest division in the NFL. This is the third straight AFC division. So why the AFC East over the AFC North, where arguably the teams might be stronger in the middle? Because the AFC East still has a dominant team, whereas the AFC North doesn't. I have the teams listed below in the order I think they finish this season.

1. New England Patriots
About: Every year people wonder if the Patriots will take a step back, and every year the Patriots seem to be there late in the AFC playoffs. I think this year will be no different. This isn't the same team that had an undefeated regular season, and the Patriots certainly have holes, but they also have a will to win. People have questioned the strength of the Patriots backs and receivers, but they are no worse than last season when the team made it to the AFC Title game. With a healthy Rob Gronkowski back, this offense might be improved. On defense, the Patriots may be improved, too. By all accounts Darrelle Revis is stronger, and the Patriots still have some great players. But really the team benefits from three things — coach Bill Belichick, Tom Brady at quarterback and playing in the AFC East. The Dolphins, Jets, and Bills will all struggle at times, while the Patriots will be steady as ever. Barring a major injury, I think the Patriots will be in the mix come January again.

2. New York Jets
About: A few years ago the Jets were surprise competitors, advancing to the AFC Title game two years in a row. That seems like a long time ago, and the Jets are a different team, but I think they'll still be competitive. Despite a lack of offensive talent and an up-and-down year from Geno Smith, the Jets nearly made the playoffs. I think they'll be right in that range again this season. Smith is improving, and the Jets have Michael Vick waiting on deck. The team also added Eric Decker to be the No. 1 wide receiver, a great improvement over last year, and running back Chris Johnson to provide some depth in the backfield. I think the offense will be better and the defense will still be tough. Under Rex Ryan the Jets have always had a strong defense, and I don't think this year will be any different. I think the Jets have been flying under the radar, but this is a team that could easily go 9-7 and sneak into the playoffs.

3. Miami Dolphins
About: This is a tough call for me. I know the Dolphins were competitive until the final week of the season last year, but I think this team will struggle more in 2014. Conversely, I think the Bills might be a bit more competitive. I could see the Bills finishing third in this division, but for now I'll go with the Dolphins. The Team was in great position to be in the playoffs with two games left in the regular season, but the Dolphins flopped in both and missed the playoffs. This team is, to some extent, in rebuilding mode. After scandals and problems, the team will have an almost entirely new offensive line. The team added Knowshon Moreno and still has Lamar Miller, so the Dolphins need to get more out of their running game. But the real question comes with quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Will Tannehill progress and be better, or will the Dolphins remain in the middle of the pack? The team added a new offensive coordinator and will try to emulate the Philadelphia Eagles offensive pacing and approach, but I don't know if this team has the personnel to hack it. I think the Dolphins will fall anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7, and I'd lean more toward 6-10.

4. Buffalo Bills
About: This team is an enigma. Could they be better? Yes. Would I bank on significant improvement? No. The Bills are hoping for growth from EJ Manuel, some great development from rookie wide receiver Sammy Watkins, and some great running from CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, and Bryce Brown. If all that happens, this team could be more competitive. Seeing the Bills go 9-7 wouldn't be shocking, but like the Dolphins I lean more toward a 6-10 season. The team has some nice pieces on defense, too, but the Bills would need everything to break perfectly for the team to be a playoff contender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43