2014 NFL Preview, NFC East


Today I continue my 2014 NFL previews. I'm reviewing one division at a time in order from worst to best. Today we get the NFC East, the first of the NFC divisions, and arguably the hardest one to call. You could easily make a case for any of the four teams finishing first and for any of them finishing last. Below I have them listed in the order I think they'll finish. In six weeks, we might have to pretend this post never happened.

1. Philadelphia Eagles
About: The Eagles won the division last year. In most pre-season polls, that wasn't who people picked. But Chip Kelly's offense clicked, the defense was just good enough, and the rest of the division swooned. So why would it be different this season? Well, for one, it's all on Nick Foles. He was a surprise hit last season after the Eagles started with Michael Vick under center. Now this is Foles' job, and he has Mark Sanchez behind him while Vick is mentoring Geno Smith for the New York Jets. The Eagles also lost DeSean Jackson. Some think that's not a big loss as Jackson wasn't an ideal fit in the Kelly system. The Eagles do get Jeremy Maclin back after he missed all of last season with an ACL injury, and the team also has LeSean McCoy, possibly the most electric player in the league. The offense will be good, but will it be good enough to carry the Eagles. I still think this is a division where 10-6 or 9-7 can carry the day, and I think the Eagles can make that happen again barring injury. So for now, I think the Eagles will stay on top in a weak division.

2. Dallas Cowboys
About: Every year I think the Cowboys will be contenders, and every year they fall apart. This team will have a terrible defense, so that's a write off. But what about the offense? With Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, DeMarco Murray, and a healthy Tony Romo, this team can put up points. Remember what they did against the Broncos last season, albeit in a loss? The biggest question mark here is Romo, and whether the Cowboys will commit to the run. As a Murray owner in Fantasy, I can attest to their frustrating play calling last year. Murray would pile up yards and few carries early in the game, then be left out of the game plan in the second half. With Scott Linnehan calling plays, many expect that to change. We'll see. Nevertheless, I don't think the Cowboys will bottom out. I don't think they'll be great, but a record anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 would figure to be about right. The team could be 8-8 again and still be second.

3. New York Giants
About: Last year just about everything went wrong for the Giants, who limped out of the gate and never caught up. This year, I think just about everything would have to break right for the Giants to make the playoffs. Eli Manning will probably be better after leading the league in interceptions last season, but this offense is worse. Rashad Jennings, a career back up, is the Giants' main man running the ball. The new offense has looked woeful in the preseason, and the Giants are asking a lot of Victor Cruz in the passing game. In the past the Giants lived and died by explosive plays, and I don't see a lot of them in this group. The defense is similarly uninspiring. The Giants have a few decent players, but they are beyond thin at linebacker. This off-season the team picked up role players from better teams last season and is hoping they hit it big. I remain skeptical. And the team is still in flux up front after Chris Snee retired. I don't think a Tom Coughlin team will totally bottom out, and I think the Giants will remain competitive in all their games, but this feels like another 7-9 team.

4. Washington Football Team
About: The most compelling thing about this team might be the fight over its nickname, which I've chosen not to use here. The least compelling thing might be the coverage for Robert Griffin III. Two years ago, Griffin was a force on the field and Washington moved to 10-6 and made the playoffs. Last year he wasn't, and the team fell flat. So what about this season? It could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised to see Washington explode and win the division. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the team implode and finish fourth in their division. For the sake of this column, I'm leaning toward the latter. Griffin made a lot of people nervous with his Monday night performance and the big hits he's taking. In addition, the team could be better on offense but still has some questions on defense. I am one of those that don't believe all of Washington's problems were due to former coach Mike Shanahan, an offensive-minded guy. I am not sure Griffin is the player or leader he purports to be. This season under new coach Jay Gruden, we'll find out. Washington, and Griffin, could shine again, but I have my doubts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43