Breaking Barriers


"I don't care if they like me. I didn't come here to make friends. I don't even care if they respect me. I know who I am. I've got enough respect for myself. I do not want them to beat me." — Jackie Robinson, "42"

"42" is an excellent film that chronicles the story of Jackie Robinson, the man who broke baseball's color barrier. It's also about Branch Rickey, the owner of the Dodgers, who stood up for Robinson, and more importantly stood up for what he believed in.

Rickey was determined to facilitate the breaking of the color barrier, and he remained steadfast in his support of Robinson despite pressure from other owners. This is something that is depicted in "42." Consider this exchange with the owner of the Phillies:

Branch Rickey: You think God likes baseball, Herb?
Herb Pennock: What - ? What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Branch Rickey: It means someday you're gonna meet God, and when he inquires as to why you didn't take the field against Robinson in Philadelphia, and you answer that it's because he was a Negro, it may not be a sufficient reply!

But Robinson had to do a lot of heavy lifting. He had to deal with opposition in the stands, opposition across the diamond, and even opposition on his own team. Early on, his teammates even started a petition to have him removed. But Robinson endured it, with class.

That was part of the deal he made with Rickey. Rickey told him it would be tough and he'd just have to take it. At first Robinson wondered if he was a token, asking, "You want a player who doesn't have the guts to fight back?"

Rickey replied, "No. I want a player who's got the guts not to fight back." It takes a great deal more strength to endure insults and physical assaults with grace, but that is what was required of Jackie Robinson to change history. And that's what he did.

I like that example because I think it's an example we see in the Bible. Jesus was ridiculed and persecuted, and he could easily have fought back. But he didn't. He endured it for our sake. In that way, he provides a model for all believers.

And I like that "42" indicates that both Rickey and Robinson acted to change the world out of a sense of Spiritual conviction, and their actions backed it up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43