The End of an Era


"Yup, these are my readers." — Bill Simmons

I'm a creature of habit. I like what I like, and that's what I typically stick to. My favorite Sports Writer and Personality, by far, is Bill Simmons. Hired in 2001, Simmons has defined a unique brand for ESPN. In 2011, he took that a step further by creating Grantland, a sub site of the worldwide leader in sports, that has attracted top talent and turned out incredible content. It is one of my favorite sites and favorite places to get sports and entertainment news.

On Friday, ESPN announced that it was ending its relationship with Simmons effective when his contract is up in September. To some it wasn't a surprise, but I still felt it was sad news, especially when you consider where it leaves ESPN and Grantland.

ESPN says its committed to Grantland, but even if that's true, the site will never be the same. Simmons, his columns, his influence, and the B.S. Report are a big part of the site's draw. And his personality and leadership has been a big part of the draw of its talented team. What will that look like come October?

And what about ESPN? Simmons was a big part of the network, working on NBA coverage, subbing on popular programs like "Pardon The Interruption" and doing segments on Sportscenter. His unique view and sense of humor will be sorely missed.

Many feel this comes down to his outsize personality and criticism of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. The NFL is a big partner of ESPN, and likely didn't appreciate one of the network's people being openly hostile to the Commissioner on his own podcast and in other interviews. And that's a shame. Some how it feels like ESPN caving to the NFL and shedding a man who wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

I didn't always agree with Simmons, but I appreciated the way he wrote and did broadcasts. He is passionate about sports and entertainment, and he shared that passion with his audience. I can't wait to see what he does next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43