Academy Awards Preview — Spotlight



Today I conclude my Academy Award previews with the final Best Picture nominee, "Spotlight."

Spotlight
Starring: Micheal Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams, and Liev Schreiber
Director: Tom McCarthy
Total Nominations: Six
Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor (Ruffalo), Best Supporting Actress (McAdams), Best Director (McCarthy), Best Original Screenplay (McCarthy and Josh Singer), and Best Film Editing
About: "Spotlight" was my favorite film of 2015, and I think it's got a good shot at winning Best Picture. It's the most wide open Best Picture field I can remember, but "Spotlight" has as good a shot as any. In terms of other awards, I think director and the acting nominations are long shots. While worthy, I don't see any of those nominated coming home with the award. If "Spotlight" is grabbing Best Picture, I think it will get the editing award, too. The one award I'm sure it takes is the Original Screenplay award. It was the most compelling story and should grab the award. I also hope it takes the top prize, but we'll find out tonight.
Rating: R for some language including sexual references
Verdict: Four stars out of four.
Where to See It: "Spotlight" is now available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43