Top 25 Countdown — No. 14


Today I continue my personal Top 25 countdown with my favorite Michael Mann movie.

No. 14 — Heat (1995)
Starring: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Ashley Judd, Natalie Portman, Jon Voigt, and Wes Studi
Director: Michael Mann
Quote: Vincent Hanna: You know, we are sitting here, you and I, like a couple of regular fellas. You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do. And now that we've been face to face, if I'm there and I gotta put you away, I won't like it. But I tell you, if it's between you and some poor bastard whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow, brother, you are going down.
Neil McCauley: There is a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in and I gotta put you down? Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second.
About: Michael Mann has crafted some great and memorable films. He was the man behind "Manhunter," "Last of the Mohicans," "The Insider," and "Ali." But for me, his best film is the 1995 heist film "Heat." On the surface it seems simple enough. A crew of thieves is striking in Los Angeles and a crew of detectives is trying to take them down. But add in Al Pacino as the top cop and Robert De Niro as the top thief, and you have something else. These are two legendary actors at the peak of their powers, and it's their first time appearing on screen in the same film together. There is something electric in those scenes. There's something great in their performances. But that's not even the best part! This film has, quite simply, one of the finest shoot outs I've ever seen. That sequence always draws me in, as does this story. I love the pacing, the performances, and the way the film is put together. It's the heist film all others in the genre are measured against.
Rating: R for violence and language. Enter with caution.

Top 25 Countdown:
15. The Paper (1994)
16. Watchmen (2009)
17. LA Confidential (1997)
18. Serenity (2005)
19. Children of Men (2006)
20. Miller's Crossing (1990)
21. About Schmidt (2002)
22. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
23. The Matrix (1999)
24. Independence Day (1996)
25. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43