Fall Movie Preview


Fall is one of the best times for movies, a blessed mix of blockbusters and serious stories. This fall, hopefully, will be no different. As we look toward the land of better movies, here's eight fall films (two each month) I'm looking forward to seeing.

September:
Sully (September 9): Tom Hanks is an American treasure, and seeing him in the role of Capt. Sully in this biopic looks great. The trailers give an interesting feel for the story, and I'm curious to see what Hanks does with the role.

The Magnificent Seven (September 23): This isn't complicated. Antoine Fuqua is a great action director, and this films stars Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt. I'm sold. Plus, having seen both "The Magnificent Seven" and "The Seven Samurai," I'm curious to see what they do here.

October:
The Birth of a Nation (October 7): We live in a rich time for explorations of dark periods in our history. In 1915, D.W. Griffith delivered a classic silent film called "The Birth of a Nation" that is nothing short of a racist opus to a certain period in American history. Writer/director Nate Parker seeks to put that in a different context with his version. This is an early Best Picture contender.

The Accountant (October 14): Two of my acting kryptonites are Ben Affleck and Anna Kendrick. I love them as performers and can't be totally unbiased. They are both in this movie. Sold. Plus, this one looks kinda fascinating.

November:
Dr. Strange (November 4): This is yet another addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but this one looks a bit different. It features Benedict Cumberbatch in a role that's not one of the typical superheroes we think of. Plus, I'm curious to see what director Scott Derrickson does with this story.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (November 18): I miss Harry Potter, and I know I'm not alone. This isn't Harry Potter, but it's the next best thing, it's set in America, and it boasts a great cast. What's not to like.

December:
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16): I liked "The Force Awakens." It was nostalgic and beautiful. But it wasn't perfect, and it definitely didn't feel totally originally. As they continue to expand this world, I'm excited to see some original stories that round out this world. Plus, Darth Vadar is back! The second trailer for this movie made me realize December can't come soon enough.

La La Land (December 16): A musical dance movie starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling? I know what you're thinking, but hear me out. First, the stars are great and I think this is a perfect kind of film for them. Second, writer-director Damien Chazelle is an immense talent. Two years ago "Whiplash" was by far my favorite film of the year. This seems radically different, and I love it. I have a feeling this will be one of the best films of the year, and one we'll be talking about a lot in the winter months during Awards season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43