Best New Shows of the Fall


We've come to the end of the fall, as many shows are on their winter break or soon will be. So it seems like a good time to look back at what have been the five best new shows of the fall.

1. Designated Survivor, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC
About: This was a high-concept plot that could have gone a lot of ways. But I like the way it's developed. There's an interesting season-long mystery, and they show's done a good job of exploring the potential problems and pitfalls of an incident that wiped out the government, especially with the possibility of a low-level cabinet member ascending to the highest office. And when that low-level member is played by Kiefer Sutherland, it's a win.

2. Pitch, Thursdays at 9 p.m. on FOX
About: This has been the biggest surprise of the fall for me. When I watched the trailer for this series, I didn't really think it was something that would work, and it wasn't a show I was very interested in. But then I watched the pilot, which seemed magical. This show has a great cast and has developed some incredible stories and drama. This isn't just a baseball show, it's a show about these characters and their lives, and that's what makes it work.

3. Timeless, Mondays at 10 p.m. on NBC
About: This is another high-concept series, and one that seems to be developing pretty well. The series has a season long mystery, but what makes it fun is the way it goes to different time periods. I like the cast and the premise, and I'm curious to see where it goes.

4. The Good Place, Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. on NBC
About: This is the best of the new comedies this season. I love Kristen Bell and Ted Danson in this series. This is another high-concept series that I wasn't sure would work beyond the initial episode, but it has developed in surprising, and surprisingly engaging ways. And it's been consistently funny, which is something that's given it an edge over other new comedies.

5. Westworld, Sundays at 9 p.m. on HBO
About: Another high-concept series, this time from HBO. I guess I like high-concept stories, especially when they work. I don't know if this will work long-term. I'm also nervous about how the first season ends. But this is a gripping show that wants to examine some deeper issues. It's got an incredible cast and a very cinematic look. HBO desperately needs the next big thing, and I still think this might be it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43