A Salute to Pot Roast


"It was dark on the plane, and everyone was sleeping. The stewardess was saying 'Pot roast, pot roast' and I raised my hand, as if that was name. The guy behind me was like, 'Yeah, I'm going to start calling you Pot Roast and I'm like 'Yeah whatever.'" — Terrance Knighton

The man they call Pot Roast is calling it a career. Terrance Knighton played defensive tackle in the NFL for eight seasons, including two seasons as the man in the middle for the Broncos. To me, he was an integral part of why the Broncos made the Super Bowl against the Seahawks.

The Broncos, sadly, didn't win that game, and Knighton didn't get to stay on the roster long enough to make it to Super Bowl 50 and get his ring. But he was always one of my favorite Broncos, and I'm sad to see him call it a career.

Knighton began his career with the Jaguars for four seasons then came to Denver and then-defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio. Knighton was the man in the middle as the Broncos won the AFC following the 2013 season, then manned the middle again as the team came up short against the Colts in the playoffs.

Following that season, he signed a free agent deal with the Washington Redskins. He was cut by the Patriots prior to the start of the 2016 season and didn't play. So in some ways, his retirement is a formality. But I still wish he was there to clog the middle for the Broncos' defense, because our line was better when he was.

Plus he was always good for a funny quote. That's what I'll remember most.

Knighton said he's retiring to go into coaching, and I wish him the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43