Emmy Reactions


On Thursday, the best of TV was recognized as the Emmy Nominations were announced. At least that's what it's supposed to be. Far too often, the best shows and performers get overlooked.

Today I'm going to look at nominations I liked, and some notable snubs.

The Good:
* Stranger Things made a big impression. Though it was released a year ago, the show has proved to have staying power. It got a nod as best drama series and a slew of other nominations, including an acting nomination for Millie Bobbie Brown. That makes me happy, seeing her work recognized.

* A strong field of dramas. I don't care of "This Is Us," and I certainly wouldn't have it in this competition, but there are some worthy competitors. I am happy to see "Westworld," "The Crown" and "The Handmaid's Tale" get some Emmy love, and it will be interesting to see who rises to the top in a year "Thrones" isn't eligible.

* I was glad to see "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" in the comedy category, and even happier to see Ellie Kemper nominated as best actress.

* It was nice to see Carrie Coon get some Emmy love for her work on "Fargo," despite what was an underwhelming season.

The Overlooked:
* "The Leftovers" had a fantastic season, and is currently the best show to have aired in 2017. It deserved a drama nomination, as well as a slew of acting nominations. It got nothing.

* "13 Reasons Why" was certainly controversial, I get that. But I think the show was also brilliantly put together and incredible powerful. I wish Emmy voters felt the same.

* Hank Azaria was masterful in "Brockmire." While it might have been a stretch for the show to get a nomination, I wish he'd been recognized.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43