Was Jesus Just A Guy?


“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” - Matthew 16:15

This Lenten Series, Really?, has been a fun chance to dig into the big questions out there, consider what we believe, and have some really interesting discussions. And now, on the cusp of Holy Week, we consider the biggest question: Who is Jesus Christ?

Jesus Himself asked the disciples who they believed He was. Peter's response to that question comes in Matthew 16:16, "Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.'” They spent so much time with Jesus and saw what He did. They knew who He was. And so, too, should we who spend time in the Scriptures.

The biggest question isn't whether Jesus lived, but whether He was who He claimed to be. Even non-believers acknowledge that Jesus was a man and lived. H.G. Wells once said, "I am a historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that the penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history." Jesus lived and died, and had a tremendous impact on history.

Our calendar revolves around Him. The designations of B.C. and A.D. in our calendar is all about Jesus. Easter, and the Lenten season, are about Jesus. Christmas, ultimately, is about Jesus. (I mean it's right there in the name whether you want to acknowledge His Lordship or not.)

And it's not just the world, but other religious figures who recognize that, at the very least, Jesus Christ lives. Ghandi talked about Jesus. Muslims acknowledge He lived (though not his Lordship) and even Jews believe Jesus was a historical figure who existed. But not everyone can take the last step.

Perhaps the most famous work of fiction to tackle this question of who is Jesus head on was "The Da Vinci Code." When it was coming out as a film, the Catholic Church rallied to ban the film. There are reasons for that, as Dan Brown's novel and even the film to a lesser extent don't paint a flattering picture of the Catholic Church. But many incorrectly said it was an atheistic approach to the world. An atheistic approach would suggest a denial of faith all together, a belief there is no God.

In reality, "The Da Vinci Code" presents a sort of humanistic deism. In fact, it never once denies that Jesus Christ lived. Jesus' life is central to the plot and the story it wants to tell. But the film breaks down at the point when the question turns to Jesus' divinity. Tom Hanks' professor Langdon even talks in a broad sense about faith and praying to God in a time of need. And he espouses a belief that Jesus was a wise and important teacher. But not that He was God.

In fact, upon discovering Jesus' living relative, Langdon says, "But, Sophie, the only thing that matters is what you believe. History shows us Jesus was an extraordinary man. A human inspiration. That's it. That's all the evidence has ever proved. But... When I was a boy... When I was down in that well Teabing told you about... I thought I was going to die, Sophie. And what I did... , I prayed. I prayed... to Jesus... to keep me alive so I could see my parents again, so I could go to school again, so I could play with my dog. Sometimes I wonder if I wasn't alone down there. Why does it have to be human or divine? Maybe human is divine. Why couldn't Jesus have been a father and still be capable of all those miracles?"

Maybe human is divine. And that's where we part ways, theologically, with the film. But it's a window into a certain way of thinking. I think most people believe Jesus lived, but not everyone is willing to believe He is God. Part of that is a believe that we can be our own saviors (the humanistic approach) and part of that, I believe, is because acknowledging Jesus is Lord changes everything. It changes what you have to think of Him. It also changes what you owe Him.

If Jesus was just a man, a noble guide who presented wisdom about living a good life, you can take it or leave it as you like. But if Jesus was God, what He said takes on a new weight, as does your interaction with Him. He is Lord, and He is worthy of your worship. That is what many are unable, or unwilling, to take a step toward.

Jesus asks Peter, and asks us, "Who do you say I Am?" Our answer to that question, the most important question, changes everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43