Best Oscar Winners — No. 7


Earlier in March I discussed a series of 10 posts on the best winners for Best Picture since 1970. Each Saturday for the next seven weeks I'll be counting down my favorites and discussing the rationale. As always, if you have thoughts, or other favorites, please feel free to comment and share.

7. Spotlight (2015)
Starring: Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Liev Schreiber, Mark Ruffalo, John Slattery, and Stanley Tucci
Director: Tom McCarthy
About: The first three weeks I went into the past, including a pair of movies from the early 1970s before I was even born. That's not the case for this film. It was the Best Picture winner three years ago, making it the newest film on this list. And it is one I really enjoyed. Growing up, I always wanted to be a journalist. It was films like "Spotlight" that encouraged that. Specifically thinking about the power of those who seek to bring the truth to life. That was the power of movies like "All The President's Men," and "The Paper" in years past, and "The Post" released this year. "Spotlight" is a powerful story of bringing the truth to light, and speaking truth to power. It's also a movie that touches on something fundamental about our culture and, in some ways, is about the kind of story, and the kind of discovery, that paved the way for our modern "Me Too" movement. It was my favorite movie in 2015, and it remains one of my favorites. So much so, that I thought it would never win. But it did. And I hope it's a film that people continue to discover in the future. It won only two awards, Best Original Screenplay and Best Picture. It's a powerful story and a beautifully crafted film, which is why it's on this list.
Rating: R for some language including sexual references.

The Top 10:
10. The French Connection (1971)
9. Gladiator (2000)
8. One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest (1975)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43