Ranking the MCU


The Marvel Cinematic Universe, which began with Iron Man in 2008, spans a decade and 18 films so far.
The 2018 Summer Movie Season gets under way today with the release of Avengers: Infinity War. (For a look at how this blockbuster opening will do at the Box Office, check out our Fantasy Movie League preview.) This movie promises to be a huge new chapter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which began in 2008. And this film, combined with the next Avengers saga due out in May 2019, will likely be the final chapter for some of the most memorable players.

Whenever a big new Avengers film comes out, it’s a chance to look back and reflect on the world that Marvel has built over the last decade. That world spans 18 feature films (including Black Panther, which was released in February). In celebration of Avengers: Infinity War, and the the past decade of Marvel films at the Box Office, I’m offering my take on which films rose to the top, and which ones have room for improvement.

As with most lists of this type, it’s subjective. You could poll 100 different people and get 100 different ranking orders for these film. Agree? Disagree? Share your own ranking in the comments as we celebrate the start of summer movie blockbuster season with a film 10 years in the making!

The Marvel Cinematic Universe:

This band of misfits and their adventures remains the class of the MCU.
1. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
About
: I didn’t really know what to expect from the Guardians when I went to see it in the Summer of 2014. That April I’d see the follow-up to Captain America, which I thought was among the best of their films, so I wasn’t expecting a lot. The trailers were fun, I’m a fan of Chris Pratt and I thought it would be entertaining. What I got was a film that remains my favorite among the Marvel films. I like the humor, the story and the characters. And I love the way director James Gunn put it all together. To me, this remains the class of the MCU.

2. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
About:
This movie was an even bigger surprise to me than Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed the first two Thor films, probably more than most, but it was never at the top of the heap for me. So I wasn’t expecting much from the third outing. But what I got was something funny, engrossing and incredible. Chris Hemsworth is great in the role, and this film really let him and the supporting cast shine. That’s a huge credit to director Taika Waititi, who injected this story with a lot of personality and humor.
Chadwick Boseman changed the MCU as Black Panther.
3. Black Panther (2018)
About:
This movie is undeniably a force, and something unique in the MCU. It was a huge Box Office success, and remains a force at the Box Office months after its release. It was also a critical darling, boasting a 96 percent critical score on Rotten Tomatoes. Some argue it’s the best of the MCU, and you could make a case for that. I prefer Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok still at this point, but sometimes opinions change a bit over time (and on the 10, 11 and 12 viewing). This is a great film that built a great world, and I can’t wait to see how the players from Black Panther, and Wakanda itself, factors into this latest Avengers saga.

4. The Avengers (2012)
About:
I think this movie gets overlooked now a bit because of all that’s come after it, but this was an incredible experience when it happened. And it was totally unique at the time. It was the culmination of four years of work and five preceding films that laid the groundwork. I thought Joss Whedon did a good job with the film, too. I’ve seen it so often in the six years since its release, but I still love it.

5. Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)
About:
I’ll be honest, Captain America has never been my favorite member of the Avengers. Others have really loved his films, but they haven’t been at the top of my list. An exception is Winter Soldier, which I think is a fantastic and fascinating film. Robert Redford is in it, and he’s great. And the film turns the MCU on its head in a really interesting way. This, to me, is the most under-the-radar film in the MCU. It isn’t flashy, but it’s pretty great.
Robert Downey, Jr. as Iron Man started it all.
6. Iron Man (2008)
About:
I love Tony Stark, and I love Robert Downey, Jr. in the role. There simply wouldn’t be an MCU without him, and without this movie. And for that reason, this film will always hold a special place for me. There are other films that are flashier, and others that are better, but this was the foundation upon which the whole thing was built. That’s a credit to Downey, to the vision of Marvel chief Kevin Feige and to director Jon Favreau, who crafted a fun and enjoyable film.

7. Spider-Man Homecoming (2017)
About:
We have seen six Spider-Man films since 2002, and while some of the first five were solid, none has nailed it like Spider-Man: Homecoming. This was another stealth gem that Marvel released last year. I love the presence of Tony Stark in the film, and the way Marvel brought the character back to life after teaming with Sony to get the rights to incorporate Spider-Man into the MCU. 

8. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
About
: Was this as good as the first one? No, it’s not. The film has some flaws, but it still has delightful characters and a unique style thanks to Gunn. Plus, it has Baby Groot. I would argue that the last 18 months, and four films, have been the strongest overall stretch for the MCU, which gives me even more hope for Avengers: Infinity War.
9. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
About:
This is one of two films that has moved the most for me the past couple years. In the case of Civil War, that has meant moving up. I thought this was three quarters of a brilliant film, with a final act that infuriated me when I initially saw it. I still think they made some mistakes with this film, and that build up and first part of the film didn’t match the cop out in the resolution. But it is still a well made film, and there are still many aspects of the first three quarters that I like.

10. Doctor Strange (2016)
About:
This is the other film that has moved the most the last two years. At one point, I had this Top 5. It would have naturally ebbed down due to the strength of the last four films in the MCU, but it also ebbed down for me because I’ve re-evaluated some of the elements. I still like the performances, and I think it has a fascinating visual style, but it’s not the most dynamic entry in the MCU. This is a more accurate landing spot.

11. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
About:
This was the last piece of the puzzle before we could get to Avengers, and it’s a well done period piece. Again, I’ll say Captain America has never been my favorite, but I enjoyed this film. I just don’t think it’s as special as some do.

12. Thor (2011)
About
: Kenneth Branagh wasn’t the obvious pick to direct a superhero movie, and there are people that don’t appreciate the style of this film, but I kind of liked it. I thought the world of Asgard that he built was interesting, and this certainly had a unique feel when it came out. I think this film is a little under rated.

13. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
About:
This feels like more of a missed opportunity than anything else. And perhaps that’s because, as he said, Whedon was feeling the strains of having to do so much world building while making this film. There’s some interesting ideas here, and it’s not a terrible film, but it doesn’t hold up to the original, or much of the rest of the MCU.
I’ve always had a soft spot for Chris Hemsworth’s Thor.
14. Thor: The Dark World (2014)
About:
When you get to this stage of the countdown, to a large degree it’s about personal preference. I like Thor as a character more than some, and I enjoyed this film more than most. I think Hemsworth does a nice job in the part, and I’m always happy to see Tom Hiddleston’s Loki.

15. Iron Man 3 (2015)
About:
This one hurts. I love Shane Black for his action/comedy style, and I was pumped for this film. Some people ride or die for Iron Man 3, and I can respect that take. I just can’t agree. I thought the story was a little clunky and I didn’t buy into it. It was trying to be different, but for me it didn’t quite work. 

16. Iron Man 2 (2010)
About:
On paper, it should have been a hit. Iron Man was great, and the follow up with Mickey Rourke in the villain role seemed like a nifty idea. But, this was just OK. And for me it hasn’t aged well, either. Considering what we’ve seen with many of these films, this one just doesn’t stack up too high.

17. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
About:
There have been two Hulk solo films in the last 20 years. The first, in 2003 from director Ang Lee, pre-dated the MCU. This one, with Edward Norton in the lead role, was actually the second film released in this new cinematic world, and it was confirmation for Marvel that a Hulk film franchise just wasn’t going to be a thing. In fact, Norton was subsequently replaced by Mark Ruffalo for Avengers, and Ruffalo has remained Bruce Banner/The Hulk ever since. Hulk is a great supporting character in a number of films (especially Thor: Ragnarok), but this stand alone film didn’t work.
If Ant-Man disappeared from the MCU, would anyone miss it?
18. Ant-Man (2015)
About:
Why is Ant-Man at No. 18? Because there aren’t 19 films for me to rank. I thought this film was a disaster. I pretty much loathe it. I know there are people that defend it, and some that even think it should be pretty high up on the Marvel film list. I can’t fathom why. Maybe the upcoming sequel will make me feel different. I love Paul Rudd, but this film doesn’t work for me at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43