Upfronts Week, ABC


We have reached Upfronts Week, a time when hope springs eternal and networks unveil their fall schedules, including all their new shows. Each day during Upfronts Week I'll be taking a look at the network schedules and pointing out a few things, in addition to give thoughts on some new shows. Today we continue with ABC.

Of all the networks, ABC might be the most stable coming into Upfronts. They have found success with comedy blocks on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and their re-launch of "Roseanne" this March was the most successful scripted venture of the season. While they had to clear out some old shows ("Once Upon A Time" is over, "Agents of Shield" is moving to summer), and they big farewell to an under-rated gem in "The Middle," ABC still has a strong core of shows. And their lineup for the Fall reflects some stability and a network identity, one that has never been propped up by sports. It will be interesting to see how that continues in 2018-19.

Best Scheduling Move:
It's easy to forget now, since its season wrapped up early, but ABC had one of the more successful new shows of the last season with "The Good Doctor." And its placement on Mondays at 10 p.m.helped the network be solid on the night. ABC has wisely kept "The Good Doctor" in that Monday home, pairing it again with "Dancing With The Stars." And better still, "The Good Doctor" is an established hit going against new entries for NBC (which will launch new show "Manifest" in the fall) and CBS (which announces its schedule tomorrow but previously cancelled Monday night staple "Scorpion"). That's a bonus.

Most Curious Scheduling Move:
I actually didn't mind any of the scheduling moves by ABC. In fact, they all pretty much make sense and reflect a schedule out of a place of stability. A quibble I might make is regarding Tuesdays at 10 p.m., which has long been viewed as a death slot for the network. They seemed to find a bit of a groove there with "For The People," a Shonda Rhimes legal drama that premiered in March and was renewed for season two. Except "For The People" isn't on the fall schedule, and instead ABC is again scheduling a new show, "The Rookie," in that slot. It doesn't feel like a natural pairing with the comedies, and will likely face tough competition from NBC's new medical show and an established CBS crime drama. It doesn't feel like the best combination for success on the night.

Most Promising New Show:
ABC is rolling out four new scripted shows in the fall, two dramas and two comedies. I actually see some potential in all four. Of the three networks so far, this has been the best total slate. But I'm keeping to my format, so I'm going to lift up one I was most drawn to and one that I was least interested in. For the most promising, I'm going with the drama "A Million Little Things." This was a bit tough, but this trailer got to me, emotionally. And as a family/friend type ensemble I think it does two things well. First, it taps into that emotional vein that made "This Is Us" a big hit, and I think that's the right kind of swing for ABC to take. And second, I think it fits well as a cap to their Wednesday night comedy block, which is family-focused. I also like that the cast includes James Roday, David Guintoli and Romany Malco. I loved the trailer and I can't wait to see the pilot.

Least Promising New Show:
Again, take this with a grain of salt. I liked all four of these new shows to some degree. But the one I liked the least was "Single Parents," which could be delightful and funny or could be a hot mess. I went both ways watching the trailer, which focuses on single dad (Taran Killam) who needs some help learning to have a life. This might work well for ABC since I don't always personally connect with their comedy brand, which has been successful with audiences. But I didn't love the trailer and I think the concept could burn out quickly. Again, I'd take this over either new comedy at FOX, or the new comedy at NBC, but it was the one of the four that seemed the least engaging to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43