Summer TV Roundup, Week 7


We're in the midst of summer. I know the last week of sweltering heat has made that official for me. So now we're in the midst of getting an interesting mix of new shows. Some are things that the networks couldn't make space for during the traditional season. Others are cable series trying to find an audience during a quieter time on the schedule. But are any worth your time? That's why I'm here. In these weekly posts I consider the pilot and second episode of new scripted series this summer. Don't see a new show listed below? Check previous weeks.

Tuesday Nights:
100 Code, Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on WGN America (Premiered May 29)
About:
This latest WGN America import is a series from 2015 that stars Dominic Monaghan as an NYPD detective who has chased a serial killer back to Sweden. I thought the first episode was a little forced and a little slow, but I liked the second one a lot better. Especially since it took a plot turn that I wasn't expecting, and one that might make this game of cat-and-mouse a little more fun. I like the performance from Monaghan and co-lead Michael Nyqvist, and I like the potential of the story and the larger mystery arc. It's possible this will break down near the end (some of these WGN series have run out of story steam), but so far this is intriguing enough to keep going during the long, hot summer.
Pilot Grade: C+
Second Episode: B-

Wednesday Nights:
Condor, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on Audience (Premiered June 6)
About:
Based on the idea behind "Three Days of the Condor," this new series focuses on a CIA Analyst who develops a spy program and then becomes a target. The first episode was a slow burn as we meet Joe Turner (Max Irons) and learn a little about his job and creation. And then his secret station is attacked, and all his co-workers are murdered. But Joe gets away. He's still a target, and now his own people think he's also the culprit. And that's where the pilot ends, setting up a larger narrative about who, why, and how it all ends. The rest of the cast includes Brendan Fraser, William Hurt and Mira Sorvino, so there's some potential here. But I thought the pilot presentation was a little dry. Some of that might be the stretching of this story (which was originally just feature film length) into more of a series. The events of the pilot were like an extended first act. And I wasn't particularly drawn to the characters. But, again, sometimes pilots are a slow burn to get into the action. And I was intrigued by the threads that were pulled at the end.
Pilot Grade: C

Reverie, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on NBC (Premiered May 30)
About:
This is a series that is a bit of a curiosity to me. I like the cast, and the premise potential. And the second episode did a good job of building on the characters and expanding the world and mystery potential. And it also has a bit of a formulaic week-to-week hook in that Sarah Shahi's Mara enters a different dreamer's story every week. I was even tempted to wonder during the second hour why NBC decided to push the show into summer (usually a sign they think a show is a flop). But it could be because this series doesn't fit into a nice box, and is unusual for TV. That is something I like about it, especially during the quieter period of summer. So while this might not have a long run, I'm enjoying the journey for now.
Pilot Grade: C+
Second Episode: B-

Thursday Nights:
Marvel's Cloak & Dagger, Thursdays at 8 p.m. on Freeform (Premiered June 7)
About
: Everyone wants a piece of Marvel. And why not? They are making a killing at the Box Office and have provided original content that's been a boon to streaming services like Amazon and Hulu, networks like FOX and ABC, and cable outlets like FX. Now Freeform is getting into the act. They have adapted a little known property about a pair of teens given powers after suffering personal tragedies a go. And the first two episodes of the 10-episode first season dropped last week. And they were...fine. That's about all I have to say. I thought the pacing was slow and the character building was perhaps slower. In fact, it wasn't until the end of the second hour that things really got even mildly interesting for me, which is perhaps why Freeform chose to premier two at once. I'm not totally sold on the story here, and I wasn't taken with the performances. I like superhero stories, and it's clear that this is geared toward a Freeform audience (which is why it might not work excellent for me), but I think it needs to pick up and be better. Through two hours I'm still not sure what kind of story this show wants to tell, and that's an issue. So for now this series gets a shoulder shrug. If you're interested in the genre, you could do worse. But this feels a bit like a swing and a miss.
Pilot Grade: C
Second Episode: C

American Woman, Thursdays at 10 p.m. on Paramount (Premiered June 7)
About:
No format in TV has changed as much the past few years as the half hour series. Typically thought of as comedy, some of the most powerful and cutting edge drama is being done in the 30-minute time slot. I bring that up as a way of saying that "American Woman" is a 30 minute series, but it's not a typical comedy. It's set in the 1970s and focuses on a housewife (Alicia Silverstone) whose life is thrown into turmoil when her marriage ends and she has to fend for herself and her children. The pilot was mostly set up, but Silverstone is a gifted actress. I didn't enjoy the pilot story, but I think it won't be until after episode two that we really get a feel for what this series will be since most of the first half hour was set up. So for now, this one is kind of TBD.
Pilot Grade: C

Sunday Nights:
Pose, Sundays at 9 p.m. on FX (Premiered June 3)
About:
I don't have much to add to what I said last week. I still feel, at times, like this is a couple of different shows going on. And I still think some of that is due to trying to shoehorn in some higher profile actors. But episode two, I thought, brought those stories together a little better. Still, Rooney Mara and James Van Der Beek don't really seem to have enough to do. This is a show that looks to honor a certain perspective and a certain kind of story that hasn't been represented in TV and films to a large degree. I'm not the target demographic, and the story doesn't really hook me for that reason. But the craft is solid and it's a show that has care for its characters and being honest in telling their story. If this is the kind of story you're drawn to, this will likely work better for you.
Pilot Grade: C
Second Episode: C

Succession, Sundays at 10 p.m. on HBO (Premiered June 3)
About:
This is another new show that didn't really grab me in the pilot. I thought the second episode was better, but it still doesn't have likeable characters. That's not always a death knell, and this certainly has some good performances from Kieran Culkin and Jeremy Strong, but I wasn't taken with the story, either. Some have said it's a bit like a non-musical "Empire," but I don't think this is as much fun, at least so far. It's a little too somber, and that means spending an hour each Sunday watching people be cruel to each other, their own family as a matter of fact, to get ahead. For that to work there needs to be something dynamic in the set up, and this didn't have that. It's been a fallow time for HBO, which has whiffed on a few high-profile projects. I feel like this is another ambitious miss.
Pilot Grade: C-
Second Episode: C

Streaming Series:
Impulse, Now Streaming on YouTube Red (Premiered June 6)
About:
There is a lot of competition for eyeballs now. We are in a Peak TV era where everyone is producing original content. And for paid streaming sites, like Amazon, Hulu, Netflix and, now, YouTube, you need content that people want to see. YouTube has been taking big swings to draw subscribers. First that was a series in the "Step Up" world. Then came "Cobra Kai," meant to appeal to those longtime "Karate Kid" fans. And while those series had some good elements, there wasn't enough in the first couple episodes to pull me in. "Impulse," the latest series, feels different. And it was totally unexpected. The series centers on a high school girl (Maddie Hasson) who suffers seizures and suddenly manifests some special powers. Things go sideways in a hurry, and she still doesn't know why it's happening or how to control it. At least in the first two episodes. I really enjoyed both episodes. I thought Hasson was great in the lead role, and the cast includes as lot of familiar faces for those who've seen "Rookie Blue" and other Canadian series. And I liked the vibe and the pacing (including the brief introductions to a wider world and plot). The pilot was directed by Doug Liman and I thought it was quite compelling, and more engrossing than I expected. The first three are available for free, then you have to pony up for the rest of the season. But for the first time, there is an original series on YouTube Red I'd like to finish.
Pilot Grade: B-
Second Episode: B-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43