Way Too Early Preview, AFC


We are more than a month away from Training Camp, and more than two months from the start of the regular season. But it's never too early to start projecting the races. And so, today I'm offering a WAY TOO EARLY look at the AFC. (To see the NFC, check my post from Friday.) Expect that these predictions will change as I get ready to make my final, official, predictions closer to the start of the season on September 9.

AFC North:
1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Baltimore Ravens
3. Cleveland Browns
4. Cincinnati Bengals
About:
I have liked the Steelers as the best team in AFC by the talent the last few years. And I think they should have finished better last year. Le'Veon Bell, Big Ben, and Antonio Brown won't stay together forever. The clock is ticking. And I think this is the year that the Steelers have to take control. Elsewhere in this division, I think the Ravens will be solid and I actually like the Browns to have a frisky season. I don't think they're a playoff team (yet), but I think they could be around 7-9. The Bengals, meanwhile, I think will struggle.

AFC South:
1. Houston Texans
2. Jacksonville Jaguars
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Tennessee Titans
About:
The AFC South produced two playoff teams last year in the Jaguars and Titans, and I think it will produce two playoff teams again this year. The biggest shame of 2017 was the Deshaun Watson injury, which prevented us from seeing what the Texans could be. The Texans were also decimated on defense. With a healthier season, I can't wait to watch this back-and-forth battle between the Texans and Jags. And if Andrew Luck can actually return to the field, the Colts can't be dismissed either.

AFC East:
1. New England Patriots
2. Miami Dolphins
3. Buffalo Bills
4. New York Jets
About:
This is the worst division in the AFC, and probably in the NFL. I think the Patriots are still a lock to win the division, but they aren't as great as they once were. But the Dolphins are meh, to me, and I think the Jets and Bills are still in the midst of a path to bottom out for a rebuild.

AFC West:
1. Los Angeles Chargers
2. Denver Broncos
3. Kansas City Chiefs
4. Oakland Raiders
About:
This is an interesting division. I've seen it predicted a lot of ways, and nothing would totally surprise me. But I thought the Chargers were the best team last year, just unlucky. I think they make it back to the playoffs this year. For the Raiders, they made a splash with Jon Gruden, but I don't think they have a great team. I don't love their schedule, either. I think the Raiders will struggle. The Chiefs made the right long-term decision to move to Patrick Mahomes. They have some great young pieces. But in the NFL the difference between 10-6 and 7-9 can be razor thin, and I think they finish 2018 on the wrong side of that margin. The Broncos, meanwhile, aren't as bad as the 5-11 record they had last year. And they've improved the roster. I think the team can be around 9-7 and hanging into the playoff race to the end.

AFC Playoff Predictions:
1. Steelers
2. Texans
3. Chargers
4. Patriots
5. Jaguars
6. Ravens


Wild Card: Jaguars over Patriots; Chargers over Ravens

Divisional Round: Steelers over Jaguars; Chargers over Texans

Championship Round: Steelers over Chargers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43