Way Too Early Preview, NFC


We are more than a month away from Training Camp, and more than two months from the start of the regular season. But it's never too early to start projecting the races. And so, today I'm offering a WAY TOO EARLY look at the NFC. I'll tackle the AFC on Sunday. Expect that these predictions will change as I get ready to make my final, official, predictions closer to the start of the season on September 9.

NFC North:
1. Green Bay Packers
2. Minnesota Vikings
3. Chicago Bears
4. Detroit Lions
About: This might be one of the toughest complete divisions in the NFC. I think the Packers, with a healthier season from Aaron Rodgers, will end up on top, and will be back in the playoffs. Right now I'm projecting about 11-5 and a No. 3 seed. The Vikings were one of the best stories of 2017, falling just short of being a home team at the Super Bowl. This off-season they added Kirk Cousins, and they'll have a strong offense. However, I don't love their schedule. I think they'll be 9-7 and just miss the playoffs.

NFC South:
1. New Orleans Saints
2. Atlanta Falcons
3. Carolina Panthers
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
About:
I wasn't high on the Bucs anyway, but the three-game suspension for Jameis Winston that's rumored would put a nail in a hot start for the team. As is, I think they'll still be bringing up the rear in the NFC South. This division produced three playoff teams last year, but I don't think that happens again. Despite the suspension for Mark Ingram I think the Saints will be atop the division, and a top team in the NFC, and think the Falcons can be good enough to be close to a last playoff spot.

NFC East:
1. Philadelphia Eagles
2. Dallas Cowboys
3. Washington Redskins
4. New York Giants
About:
The Giants will be a little better, the Redskins will be about the same, and I don't think either is a playoff team. The Cowboys were in the battle for the playoffs until the end last year, and I think that's the case again even despite great pass-catching weapons. But I think the Eagles are still on top here, albeit with a record that brings them back to the pack a bit.

NFC West:
1. Los Angeles Rams
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Seattle Seahawks
4. Arizona Cardinals
About:
This is a tough division, but I like the Rams. They were good, and a surprise, last season, but I think they could be even better this season with a more robust defense. I've seen first-hand what Wade Philips can do when given the tools, and the Rams have the tools. And Brandin Cooks could be a nice boost, too. As for the 49ers, Jimmy Garoppolo won't be undefeated as a starter,and I actually think based on the schedule the 49ers could get off to a slow start, but I think they'll end up good enough to get a playoff berth. The Seahawks, meanwhile, will take a step back, as will the Cardinals.

Playoff Projections:
1. New Orleans Saints
2. Los Angeles Rams
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Philadelphia Eagles
5. San Francisco 49ers
6. Atlanta Falcons


Wild Card: Packers over Falcons; Eagles over 49ers

Divisional Round: Rams over Packers; Saints over Eagles

Championship Round: Saints over Rams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43