Best Non-Oscar Winners, No. 3


Recently I chronicled my favorite Best Picture Winners since 1970. Now, for the next three weeks, I'll be sharing my 10 favorite films that fell short of Best Picture despite being nominees since 1990.

3. Up In The Air
Starring:
George Clooney, Anna Kendrick, and Vera Farmiga
Director: Jason Reitman
About: This list has featured some movies that are real favorites of mine, which is partly how they ended up on the list. While the top two on this list the next couple of weeks have strong cultural statements, this might be the most personal option on this list. I love "Up In The Air." It's one of my favorite movies of all time, and I thought it was a masterpiece on a number of levels. I've probably seen it 50 times, and I've taught a movie class on it twice. I'm not objective. Nor am I objective about the fact that "The Hurt Locker" is over rated and "Avatar" is a visual masterpiece with a shallow and cliche story. Those were the two films that were at the top of the heap the year that "Up In The Air" came out. I thought "Up In The Air" was the best then, and I still do, and it's a shame the film didn't do better. The film was nominated for six Academy Awards, but it won nothing. I thought it was a great performance from Clooney, and one that could have won any of the awards it was nominated for, but it got nothing. But it's a funny and poignant film, and one that is well worth checking out if you've never seen it.
Rating: R for language and some sexual content.

Top 10 Non-Winners:
10. Fargo (1996)
9. Whiplash (2014)
8. L.A. Confidential (1997)
7. The Social Network (2010)
6. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. Inception (2010)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43