2018 Fall Preview — Network Rookie Rankings


OK, so Premier Week begins tomorrow, which is exciting. There are 18 new shows premiering on the five networks this fall. Below I have my pre-premier rankings, one through 18. Let's see how I feel after I start grading them.

1. FBI, Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on CBS (Premiers Sept. 25)
About:
Why? Well, this one snuck up as I've seen more about it. Dick Wolf has a great track record, and I really liked the long preview for the series (though CBS gave away the pilot ending, which is gross). I think this will easily settle into a groove.

2. All-American, Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW (Premiers Oct. 10)
About:
This is one of three new shows on The CW, and looks like the best. I like the concept and the potential here, and I feel like this could end up being like "Friday Night Lights," a show that just captures our hearts.

3. God Friended Me, Sundays at 8 p.m. on CBS (Premiers Sept. 30)
About:
I've actually seen this pilot, and I loved it more than I thought I would. Brandon Micheal Hall is great, and I think this could actually be really engaging.

4. New Amsterdam, Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on NBC (Premiers Sept. 25)
About:
This new hospital series chases "This Is Us," and could be another winner for NBC. I like Ryan Eggold, who takes the lead here, and this looks like a hospital show with heart.

5. Manifest, Mondays at 10 p.m. on NBC (Premiers Sept. 24)
About:
This year's "LOST" is about a group of people on a plane ride that lasts five years. The mystery will be engaging, and this could have been higher except that I worry it won't be able to go anywhere good with this engaging pilot concept. For now, it gets the benefit of the doubt.

6. I Feel Bad, Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. on NBC (Premiered Sept. 19)
About:
This is a bit of a cheat because I've seen the first two episodes now. I'm not wild about comedies, but this one worked for me. I think it could be a good addition with "Superstore" and "The Good Place" on Thursday nights.

7. The Rookie, Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC (Premiers Oct. 16)
About:
This one from Nathan Fillion looks like it will work. I know people have doubts, but I think it's a good concept.

8. A Million Little Things, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC (Premiers Sept. 26)
About:
I was really excited about this show in May, and I'm still looking forward to it. But early reviews weren't incredible, and the comparisons to "This Is Us" don't do a lot for me. So, let's say I'm cautious.

9. The Connors, Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on ABC (Premiers Oct. 16)
About:
So you'll say this isn't a new series, but really it is. And I think it will be successful. But it might be more of a curiosity at first than an actual series, so I'm cautious.

10. The Neighborhood, Mondays at 8 p.m. on CBS (Premiers Oct. 1)
About:
Cedric the Entertainer and Max Greenfeld were enough to sell me. I think this will be a fun and watchable comedy for CBS.

11. Legacies, Thursdays at 9 p.m. on The CW (Premiers Oct. 25)
About:
This spin-off from "The Vampire Diaries" could be a little bit like early season "Supernatural" in its monster-of-the-week format.

12. The Kids Are All Right, Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. on ABC (Premiers Oct. 16)
About:
This period piece comedy looks like it will be about another gruff family. It will likely be fine, but I'm not a big fan of the ABC comedy style.

13. Single Parents, Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. on ABC (Premiers Sept. 26)
About:
Another ABC comedy, this one I feel less good about. I actually think that it might be bad, but I have more faith than the rest of this list. However, we're in range of shows I plan to not be watching this fall.

14. Magnum P.I., Mondays at 9 p.m. on CBS (Premiers Sept. 24)
About:
It's a terrible idea to re-make this show, and this could easily be lower. I hate this idea, and the trailer did little to change my mind. But it will probably be decently made.

15. Happy Together, Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS (Premiers Oct. 1)
About:
This other Monday comedy doesn't look great. I don't get the idea here, and I think this could be a mess.

16. Charmed, Sundays at 9 p.m. on The CW (Premiers Oct. 14)
About:
Another re-make that I question, this one looks somewhat awful. The original show wasn't great, but it was campy. This looks overly serious. Pass.

17. The Cool Kids, Fridays at 8:30 p.m. on FOX (Premiers Sept. 28)
About:
This is another comedy that has me scratching my head. One of only two new shows for FOX this fall, and this sadly looks like their best.

18. Rel, Sundays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX (Premiered Sept. 9)
About:
The pilot here already premiered and it was as bad as I thought it would be. This is a stilted comedy, and it doesn't feel like it fits the FOX Sunday night lineup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43