2018 Fall Preview: Post Premier Rookie Rankings


In late September, prior to the start of the Network's Fall Preview Schedule, I did a pre-premier ranking of all 18 rookie series premiering across the five networks. Well, now I've seen the first two episodes of each, and I'm ready to see how my pre-premier impressions stack up against what we've seen. Here they are in ascending order.

18. A Million Little Things, ABC
Pre-Premier Ranking: 8
Why:
I had a lofty hopes for this. I liked the cast, and this was one of my most anticipated premiers when Upfronts ended in May. As the summer wore on, I became weary. It turns out it was for good reason. This show was terrible, as were the characters it introduced and tried to get you to invest in. I hated every minute of the two episodes I watched, and its faux emotional manipulation.

17. The Cool Kids, FOX
Pre-Premier Ranking: 17
Why:
This one ended up about where I thought. I'm sure it's fine for what it is, but I thought the first  two episodes were dull. I'm sure it has a target audience, but it's definitely not me.

16. Rel, FOX
Pre-Premier Ranking: 18
Why:
This isn't far off from what I thought, but I'll say I thought the second episode tried to be more culturally relevant than anything I saw in "The Cool Kids," so I gave it a little bump. But it wasn't funny enough for me, and didn't really work for me.

15. Charmed, The CW
Pre-Premier Ranking: 16
Why:
This, similarly, finished about where I figured. I thought it was a flat, unnecessary re-make, and that's what it ended up being. I'm sure it's fine for some and has an audience, but it didn't work for me.

14. Magnum P.I., CBS
Pre-Premier Ranking: 14
Why:
This finished where I thought. It's another unnecessary re-make, and it just feels like this one missed what made the original such a classic.

13. The Kids Are Alright, ABC
Pre-Premier Ranking: 12
Why:
This is another one that was OK, and I even enjoyed Michael Cudlitz and Mary McCormack in the lead roles, but the kids were too flat and there wasn't enough here to keep my hooked.

12. All-American, The CW
Pre-Premier Ranking: 2
Why:
This was a big tumble, and probably my biggest disappointment. I wanted another "Friday Night Lights." I got a poor man's attempt to do "The O.C.," and I just couldn't get into it. This was a real bummer for me.

11. Legacies, The CW
Pre-Premier Ranking: 11
Why:
This is what I thought it would be. It's OK, mildly entertaining and about what I thought I'd see. This actually ended up being the best of the new CW offerings.

10. The Neighborhood, CBS
Pre-Premier Ranking: 10
Why
: This also ended up about where I thought. I like the cast, but the comedy has been uneven. It's OK, but nothing special.

9. Manifest, NBC
Pre-Premier Ranking: 5
Why:
I had higher hopes for this, and I thought it had a strong pilot. But the character development hasn't been as good as I'd hoped, and the development of the mystery and what it means has veered in directions I'm not wild about. In fact, I have a few episodes stacked up and haven't felt compelled to dive back in. That's not a great sign.

8. I Feel Bad, NBC
Pre-Premier Ranking: 6
Why:
This took a little tumble, but not bad. I think it's funny, and I like quite a bit about it. But it's not perfect, and seeing as how NBC is wrapping it up in December, a traditional dead period, it looks like it will have a short life-span.

7. The Rookie, ABC
Pre-Premier Ranking: 7
Why:
This ended up about where I thought. Another fine, but sometimes flawed show. Nathan Fillion is good in the lead role, and I enjoy some aspects of this. There have only been three episodes so far, and there's room to grow, but this is a decent watch.

6. The Connors, ABC
Pre-Premier Ranking: 9
Why:
"Roseanne" was the biggest premier of last Spring, and many wondered how this spin-off minus the biggest star would do. I thought it turned out well, and I think it feels like largely the same show. Some are angry about the behind the scenes drama, and I get it, but among a middling crop of new shows this Fall, this is in the upper half.

5. Single Parents, ABC
Pre-Premier Ranking: 13
Why:
This one is one of the ones that has jumped the most. Here's the thing, I'm not always a fan of comedies and I tend to be skeptical. This Fall, however, the comedies have been stronger than some of the hour-long series. And "Single Parents" has been the best of the new shows for me this Fall on ABC. The pilot was so-so, but I think it's continued to get better.

4. New Amsterdam, NBC
Pre-Premier Ranking: 4
Why
: This is what I thought it would be, and it's been a solid hospital drama. I like the cast and premise, and I think this is the kind of solid hit NBC hoped it would be. That's high praise for a Fall crop like we're seeing.

3. Happy Together, CBS
Pre-Premier Ranking: 15
Why:
I mentioned I am usually skeptical of comedies, and this one had a hideous trailer. I also didn't love all the pilot. But it's really grown on me, and it keeps getting better. This has been the most pleasant surprise of the Fall for me, and a show that I think works well. I just wish it had better ratings.

2. FBI, CBS
Pre-Premier Rankings: 1
Why:
This has been as billed, a solid procedural with a good cast and compelling production. I enjoy this show and I think it's gotten stronger post-pilot.

1.  God Friended Me, CBS
Pre-Premier Ranking: 3
Why:
This is my favorite show of the Fall, and a show I look forward to each Sunday. When they announced it last May, I was skeptical. I thought there was plenty of room for error in this concept, and there still is. But not with this show. I caught an early premier of the pilot on Labor Day Weekend, and I thought it was powerful. The series has been even better. It is thought-provoking and emotionally engaging each week, and I often find it beautiful. It feels like the kind of show and the kind of faith journey that we need on TV now. I hope this one makes it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43