Now Playing


Here's a look at the new movie I saw this week.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Starring:
Eddie Redmayne, Dan Fogler, Jude Law, Johnny Depp, Katherine Waterston, Alison Sudol, and Ezra Miller
Synopsis: When "Harry Potter" ended in 2011, it felt like the end of an era. It was also kind of a bummer to think we were done with that world, but an even bigger bummer to think about ever re-making those films. So when "Fantastic Beasts," and its new cinematic world, came to be in 2016, it was an exciting moment. And the first film, which featured fun performances from Redmayne, Waterston, Sudol and Fogler, was a fun journey. It was bright, colorful and funny. It was a film that was fun to watch. As befits the second installment in a larger series, the second part was going to get darker. And this one does get darker, and expands the story. This time with the focus front-and-center on Grindelwald (Depp), who was merely revealed at the end of the first film. It's also focused on Creedence (Miller), who survived the first film and remains a key in all that's going to happen. The action moves to Paris and England, we see Hogwarts again and catch up with the younger version of Dumbeldore (Law). And we get our four central heroes back together, sort of, and in various iterations. I still love the interplay of Redmayne and Fogler, and I like what Waterston brings to the role. This is a talented cast, and though the film spends a lot of time expanding the story and world, there is still plenty of time for breath-taking visuals and some fun. Now a note, I have not read all the Harry Potter books and I'm not current on canon. I know that for some big book fans, certain elements of this plot have changed long-held story points and that's a point of contention and frustration. I get that, and I can't speak to that. All I can speak to is this as a film, and for me it worked and was interesting, and I can't wait to see how it plays out in subsequent parts. I still like the casting here and the characters that have been created, and more than anything I'm excited to continue the journey into the Wizarding World.
Rating: PG-13 for some sequences of fantasy action.
Verdict: Three stars out of four.

Upcoming Releases:
Wednesday, November 21
: "Ralph Breaks the Internet," "Robin Hood," "Green Book," "Creed II," "The Front-Runner"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43