Best Christmas Movies


Christmas movies, and specifically which are the best, is a deeply personal thing. There are as many different lists as there are people. But, 'tis the season for Christmas films as we head into the final weekend before holiday revelry begins. So below are my five favorite Christmas movies in order.

There are plenty I enjoy, including classics like "It's A Wonderful Life," "Home Alone," and "Holiday Inn." But these are the ones that I think of when I think of watching a Christmas movie.

5. A Christmas Story (1983)
About:
My wife doesn't care for this movie, so I don't watch it as much as I used to. But I love the classic story of Ralphie, his family and the Christmas present he schemed to get only to have it literally bite him in the face. This is a close entry, as I considered "Love Actually," another film my wife doesn't like, in this slot. But "A Christmas Story" really captures the heart of the season and a different era in America.

4. Elf (2003)
About:
I'm not a huge Will Ferrell fan, but he's talented and when he finds the right character, it can be magic. Buddy the Elf might be his finest work. This is a goofy sweet film that makes you smile whenever you see it. It's about Christmas cheer, and that's what it brings, too. And it's fun for the whole family.

3. Christmas Vacation (1989)
About:
We're all Clark W. Griswold, right? We want to create a beautiful and perfect holiday, and inevitably things go wrong. The holidays can be a stressful time, and "Christmas Vacation" captures that magic in an iconic way. Chevy Chase is great in the role and, though this is the third film in a series, this is probably the best of the "Vacation" films. And no Christmas season is complete for me without seeing it at least once.

2. Die Hard (1988)
About:
First, yes, it is a Christmas movie. It takes place on Christmas Eve at a Christmas party. It's not a successful party, but that happens a lot at work Christmas events. Well, not the terrorist part, but you take my meaning. And second, it's just a great movie. No time of year is a bad time for "Die Hard." It's one of my all time Top 10 favorite films, and it features a number of iconic moments and performances. In fact, some have called it the Greatest Christmas Story Ever Told.

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
About
: I love Charlie Brown. And, if I'm being honest, I really love all the animated Christmas classics that air beginning after Thanksgiving. I usually watch Frosty, Rudolph and the Grinch each year. But none thrills me more than Charlie Brown. This is a busy and frenzied season. It can be easy to lose the reason for the season. But Charlie Brown, and more specifically Linus, help put the focus back where it belongs. This one is pure joy, and will always be my favorite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43