Academy Award Snubs



The Academy Award nominations were announced on Tuesday morning and we've had a few days to think about them and those who missed the cut. Below are my disappointments among this year's nominations.

* Won't You Be My Neighbor. If you're a regular reader of this column, you know how much this film impacted me. In fact, from the moment I saw it there was little doubt that it would be my top pick for 2018. And even last week I wondered if it might get into the Best Picture competition. At the least, I figured it was a lock for the documentary competition. Boy was I wrong. I enjoyed "RBG" and "Minding the Gap" was interesting. I've heard good things about "Free Solo," too, but "Won't You Be My Neighbor" being completely left out is ridiculous. It was not only great, but one of the most high profile entries in the medium. This is probably one of the biggest gaffs in recent memory.

* A Quiet Place. It got technical nominations, so unlike the above it wasn't shut out. This was one of my favorite films last year, and it hasn't gotten the due it deserves. John Krasinski crafted a fascinating, unique and engaging film, one with great performances. I'm disappointed that it hasn't been remembered this Awards Season.

* Emily Blunt. This one hurts. She's an incredible actress that never gets her due. This year she gave two incredible performances — in "A Quiet Place" and "Mary Poppins Returns" — and yet she didn't get a single nomination. It's a crime. In a year where the Academy talked about including more popular films to connect with mainstream audiences, these kind of omissions seem backwards.

* Eighth Grade. This was a smaller film that many didn't see, but it was a powerful story of growing up. It was a part of the Golden Globes, and will be part of the Independent Spirit Awards, but being shut out of the Academy Awards is a shame.

* Ethan Hawke. I wasn't a huge fan of "First Reformed" as a movie, but Hawke was great in the role and worthy of recognition.

It was a strong year for films, and there were plenty of interesting movies. But I guess you can't remember them all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43