Academy Award Nominees, Animation, Documentary, Foreign Features


It's Oscars' week, and I'll be looking at the big races throughout the week as we get ready for the big awards on Sunday, February 24!

Best Animated Feature:
* Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
* Incredibles 2
* Ralph Breaks the Internet
* Isle of Dogs
* Mirai


About: This is a tough category, and while Pixar dominated for many years it's become a more open competition this year. Heading into the Golden Globes I expressed a hope that "Spider-Man" would win, while stating a belief that it wouldn't. It did win, and it's continued to win the animated category in awards presentations since. That gives me a good feeling. I think it was not only the best film in this category (I've seen four), but one fo the best films of the year. I expect it to take home the award on Sunday, too. If not it, I think "Incredibles 2" could be the best chance at playing the spoiler.

Best Foreign Language Film:
* Roma
* Cold War
* Capernum
* Shoplifters
* Never Look Away


About: This is a category that feels almost like a complete lock. "Roma" is the rare foreign language film that is in the Best Picture race (and a few others), and that gives this category a higher profile. Same goes for "Cold War," which is recognized in a few other categories, too. I think it's incredibly likely that "Roma" win this category (and may actually win Best Picture, too). If not "Roma," "Cold War" has the best chance of playing spoiler.

Best Documentary Feature:
* RBG
* Minding the Gap
* Of Fathers and Sons
* Free Solo
* Hale County This Morning, This Evening


About: The biggest upset, to me, is the omission of "Won't You Be My Neighbor." I not only think it should be here, I think it should win. But, alas, it wasn't included and can't win. Given that, this category feels wide open to me. I think the three that feel like they have the best chance are "RBG," which focuses on Ruth Bader Ginsburg, "Free Solo," the climbing documentary, and "Minding the Gap," the Hulu documentary that looks at class and race in our country. Given the mood any could win, but I'm leaning toward "Free Solo," which was one many critics' best of lists, as the one most likely to come out a winner. But nothing would surprise me at this point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43