Academy Award Nominees: Directors and Writers


The Academy Awards are just days away and I'm previewing the races. Stay tuned for my official picks on Awards Day, February 24.

Best Director:
* Alfonso Cuaron, "Roma"
* Spike Lee, "BlacKkKlansman"
* Pawel Pawlikowski, "Cold War"
* Yorgos Lanthimos, "The Favourite"
* Adam McKay, "Vice"


About: Continuing a theme, this is a category where a couple of the nominees come from the world of Foreign Films, including the favorite Cuaron. Of course Cuaron is no stranger to the Academy, having given us "Gravity," "Children of Men" and "The Revenant," among others, in the past. And his "Roma" is one of the hottest films of the year. I think he gets the win here. If I were to pick a dark horse, however, it would be Lanthimos for "The Favourite," which is a film with many ardent fans.

Best Original Screenplay:
* First Reformed
* Green Book
* Roma
* The Favourite
* Vice


About:
This is a tough category, too. "Green Book" won a lot early, but some different issues have plagued one of the film's writers, Nick Vallelonga. It could still win, but I think that throws the field more wide open. Any of these could win, but I think "Roma" is a more visual movie and "Vice" is a long shot. That leaves two. "First Reformed" is a fascinating story that could see writer Paul Schrader rewarded, but I'm leaning toward "The Favourite" in this category.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
* BlacKkKlansman
* If Beale Street Could Talk
* A Star is Born
* Can You Ever Forgive Me?
* The Ballad of Buster Scruggs


About: Some interesting choices here, and an even split between movies in the Best Picture race and those that are some wild picks. If I had to narrow it down, I think "BlacKkKlansman" and "Beale Street" are running out in front, and I actually think Spike Lee gets it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43