1999 Rewind: Blast from the Past


It's been 20 years since 1999, a year with a number of extraordinary and engaging films. During this summer, I'll be looking back at 10 of my favorites from 1999 for those looking to catch up with a few good films. Check back Mondays this summer for more from 1999.

Blast from the Past (February 12, 1999)
Starring:
Brendan Fraser, Alicia Silverstone, Christopher Walker, and Sissy Spacek
About: I'm a sucker for comedies, especially ones that have some enduring or iconic aspects. And while some might not agree that fits "Blast from the Past," it always has for me. This is a film with a pretty fun concept. A couple (Walken and Spacek) who fear a nuclear attack build an elaborate fall out shelter meant to help them survive. When they mistake an ordinary incident for the big one, they head down into the shelter for 35 years. There, they have and raise their son (Fraser), and when their shelter doors open, they find the world deeply changed. And their son, Adam, finds true love with a local girl, Eve (Silverstone), who helps guide them into a new reality. The year 1999 is one that will be remarkable for a lot of deep and varied films. Likely this isn't one of the movies people think of when remembering the year, and I get it. But this isn't a list for me of groundbreaking films, but rather 10 that I still enjoy watching 20 years later. I thought Walken and Spacek were great here, and I've always enjoyed the comedy style of Fraser. I thought he played the part well here, and I liked the way he played off Silverstone, who is also good. This is a movie that has a lot of funny moments, and doesn't take itself too seriously. And it's one that I always enjoy as a re-watch, even 20 years later, which is the real test for this kind of film.
Rating: PG-13 for brief language, sex and drug references

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43