Fall Network Rookies


We have now seen all 15 of the new Fall Shows premiering across the 15 networks. Now that they've all debuted, it seems about right to go through and rank them by what we've seen. Here they are in ascending order!

15. Carol's Second Act, Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. on CBS
About
: This one features Patricia Heaton as a woman who went back to medical school to become a doctor after a divorce and is now the "old intern." It's meant to be funny. It isn't. It was painful.

14. Nancy Drew, Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW
About:
This is a new take on the teen detective stories (except she's a young adult now, and the world feels very much like the one crafted in "Riverdale"). I'm sure this works for someone, but I thought it was dull and uninspired.

13. Mixed-ish, Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on ABC
About:
This is a spin-off of "Black-ish," and the premise could be good. The cast is nice. The execution and stories were... well dull is probably the nicest way to put it.

12. Almost Family, Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on FOX
About: This one might develop into something watchable because of the cast, but the premise is just not right. And I didn't care that much for the execution either.

11. All Rise, Mondays at 9 p.m. on CBS
About:
This legal drama had some potential, but the first two felt a little uneven and overly preachy. This is one I just couldn't bring myself to care about.

10. Bluff City Law, Mondays at 10 p.m. on NBC
About:
This is similar to "All Rise," but I thought it had a slightly better cast. Still, the stories weren't compelling enough, nor were the characters.

9. Bob Hearts Abishola, Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS
About
: This comedy had some OK moments, but it didn't do enough to build the characters and world into something compelling. It feels like its just spinning its wheels even four episodes in. That happens occasionally with comedies, but there has to be enough of a hook to ride it out. Here there wasn't.

8. Emergence, Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC
About:
The requisite serialized sci-fi drama. I like Allison Tolman, and I thought there was potential here, but the first two episodes were dull and the third episode reveal pushed me off the bandwagon.

7. Sunnyside, Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. on NBC
About:
This one has already been cancelled, but the fact it's in the middle of this list gives you an idea that this new Fall hasn't offered a lot of gems.

6. Batwoman, Sundays at 8 p.m. on The CW
About:
It's not that this one is great, because three episodes in its still figuring itself out. But Ruby Rose is good in the lead, and this fits the D.C. universe on The CW. It's been entertaining and has some potential, which helps it stand out this Fall.

5. Prodigal Son, Mondays at 9 p.m. on FOX
About
: This one is about a man (Tom Payne) whose father is a serial killer, and how that childhood trauma drives and haunts him. I was speculative of this premise heading into the Fall, and I won't say it's great, but it has at least been interesting. I like Michael Sheen as the killer father, too.

4. Stumptown, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC
About:
This one is a bit of a slow burn, but it has source material to draw from and a good cast. And I feel like it doesn't take itself too seriously. The ratings aren't good, but I think it could develop into something fun if given enough runway.

3. The Unicorn, Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS
About:
This one started slow, but I love Walton Goggins and I thought there was potential. And I feel like it's steadily improved over its first four episodes. This might be one that has a chance to stick.

2. Evil, Thursdays at 10 p.m. on CBS
About:
This is one I had high hopes for that has delivered. I like the cast and the premise, and there have been some really compelling moments. Its ratings are poor, and it's a tough show to describe. I don't think it will last, but I'm going to enjoy the ride until it disappears.

1. Perfect Harmony, Thursdays at 8;30 p.m. on NBC
About:
I loved the pilot for this, and while it's been sometimes uneven, I have enjoyed the comedy. Bradley Whitford and Anna Camp are great, and I think this is the best of a tepid Fall so far. But it's another ratings-challenged option, so we'll see if it lasts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43