NFL Playoffs, Mid-Season Prediction


We're hitting the stretch run in the NFL, and with the Broncos on a bye this week, I thought I'd take this space to make some revised playoff predictions. It turns out in August I had way too much faith in the Los Angeles Chargers. Below were my predictions to start the season:

Playoffs:
Round 1: Texans over Jets, Browns over Steelers; Bears over Falcons, Eagles over 49ers
Round 2: Chargers over Browns, Patriots over Texans; Bears over Rams, Saints over Eagles
AFC Championship: Chargers over Patriots
NFC Championship: Saints over Bears
Super Bowl: Saints over Chargers

MVP: Phillip Rivers
Coach of the Year: Anthony Lynn
Rookie of the Year: David Montgomery
Fantasy MVP: Justin Jackson

So, yeah, that didn't go that great. Now, with seven weeks to go, we're seeing trends emerge, and it's time for some new picks. And I think it's going to be a tight race in many divisions and a tight race for a Wild Card berth in both the NFC and AFC. But here's my fearless predictions.

AFC Playoffs:
1. New England Patriots

2. Houston Texans
3. Baltimore Ravens
4. Kansas City Chiefs
5. Buffalo Bills
6. Cleveland Browns
About: I know what you're thinking, Cleveland? I still think the back half of the schedule helps them get on a roll, while the Steelers, Colts, Jaguars, Titans and Raiders all do well, too. I think there's a pack of 9-7 teams, and it ends up with the Browns squeaking through to the last spot.

Round 1: Ravens Over Browns; Chiefs Over Bills
Round 2: Patriots Over Chiefs; Ravens Over Texans
AFC Championship: Patriots Over Ravens

NFC Playoffs:
1. San Francisco 49ers
2. New Orleans Saints
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Philadelphia Eagles
5. Seattle Seahawks
6. Minnesota Vikings
About:
Last night was a crucial game. As was noted, the Eagles and Cowboys are tied and the Eagles have a more favorable schedule. I think they end up neck-and-neck all season, and it's their second head-to-head game in Philly that proves the difference. The Rams, meanwhile, have been struggling and I think they've dug too big a hole in too good a division. I like the Panthers' spirit, too, but I think they're in the same boat.

Round 1: Packers Over Vikings; Seahawks Over Eagles
Round 2: Seahawks Over 49ers; Saints Over Packers
NFC Championship: Saints Over Seahawks

Super Bowl: Saints Over Patriots. Still betting on the Saints.

Award Predictions:
NFL MVP:
Deshaun Watson. It's a three man race, to me, right now with Russell Wilson and Christian McCaffrey. I think Watson gets the nod due to how his team will finish.

Coach of the Year: Kyle Shanahan. Going from top draft pick to top seed is a worthy and impressive achievement.

Rookie of the Year: Kyler Murray. Murray has been great even for a middling team, and it's a crop of rookies that hasn't exactly stood out strong. Josh Jacobs is a strong consideration, too. If the Raiders do make the playoffs, I think he'll get it.

Fantasy MVP: Lamar Jackson. Many had thoughts and doubts, myself included, but he's been simply amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43