2020 Broncos' Season, Defensive Free Agents


NFL Free Agency begins in about a month, but before that, it's time to preview a bit of what the Broncos are facing and what could happen when the free agency period begins. Today I'm looking at the defensive free agents from the Broncos.

Team Option:
Von Miller, OLB
Todd Davis, ILB

Exclusive Rights Free Agent:
Trey Marshall, S
Davontae Harris, CB

Restricted Free Agent:
Joe Jones, LB
Joel Heath, DT
Mike Purcell, DE
DeVante Bausby, CB

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Dymonte Thomas, S
Will Parks, S
Justin Simmons, S
Chris Harris, Jr., CB
Cyrus Jones, CB
Derek Wolfe, DE
Adam Gotsis, DE
Shelby Harris, DT
Corey Nelson, LB
Dadi Nicolas, LB
Jeremiah Attaochu, LB

Who Won't Be Back:
The Broncos' defense has a lot of pieces that are entering the free agent process, including some big names. But not all of them can come back. And there are a few I'm torn on whether they belong here or in the "Could Go Either Way" category, so I'll hedge my bets some. However, I feel confident Parks and Gotsis will be gone, but for different reasons. Gotsis doesn't seem like a good scheme fit, and I think the Broncos will move on. With Parks, he's been a great player but you can't keep everyone. I think he's likely to end up getting more money and a shot to start elsewhere. Meanwhile I think that the Broncos may well make Davis a cap casualty, in which case he could be gone. I think a few other FAs, like Jones, Thomas, Nichols and Attaochu could move on as well. Corey Nelson is the hardest read for me. He could well be back on a cap-friendly deal, but I'm not betting on it right now.

Who Will Be Back:
Let's start with the obvious, Von Miller isn't going anywhere. It's a club option, but they'll take it. I also think both exclusive rights guys, Marshall and Harris, will be back. And I think restricted free agents Joe Jones, a special teams stand out, Purcell and Bausby will be retained. Then it gets a bit tougher. But I am convinced that Simmons will be a Bronco in 2020, whether through a new contract or playing on the Franchise Tag. I just don't think Denver will let him walk.

Could Go Either Way:
Here's where we get to three big names that could well be gone. I think the Broncos have some interest in retaining Chris Harris, Wolfe and Shelby Harris, but it's far from a certainty. Of the three, I think Shelby Harris is the most likely back, coming off a career year where he was a stalwart on the defensive line. I love Chris Harris, but it seems like it's leaning toward him moving on. But hope isn't totally gone. The toughest read is Wolfe. He's been great at times, and I think he fits well in Denver, but it will be a question of opportunity and money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43