Films of the Decade, No. 24


Over the next 25 weeks I'll be rolling out my favorite films of the last decade. This is, as all lists of this kind, personal selections. Agree, disagree, make a comment and share your thoughts!

No. 24 The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
Starring:
Chris Hemsworth, Jesse Williams, Fran Kranz, Kristen Connolly, Bradley Whitford, Anna Hutchison, Richard Jenkins, and Amy Acker
Director: Drew Goddard
Academy Award Nominations: 0
Academy Award Wins: 0
About: I love horror movies, always have. In college I wrote a term paper about the evolution of slasher films. Well it's fair to say I've never seen one like "The Cabin in the Woods," which comes from Joss Whedon and Goddard. It has all the trappings of a traditional horror film, and as it starts that seems like what it's going to be. But there's a twist in this film, which I won't ruin if you haven't seen this film and still want to check it out, that adds a whole new layer. Those familiar with Whedon's work will recognize some names and faces on the cast list, like Kranz and Acker, but this is a very deep and talented cast. Of course this was Hemsworth before his peak powers, and before we universally recognized he is a talented comedic actor. I particularly love Whitford and Jenkins in this film, too. It's a fun ride, and an unexpected one. So this makes the list not only because it appeals to me personally, but because it also says something new in this genre and in film. I think it's an under-rated film, and one that's seemingly been a bit forgotten since it's almost 10 years old. But it's one I've always enjoyed and it was an easy call for me to include it on this list.
Rating: R for strong bloody horror violence and gore, language, drug use and some sexuality/nudity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43