Now Playing


Here's a look at the new movies I saw this week.

Sonic The Hedgehog
Starring:
Ben Schwartz, James Marsden, Tika Sumpter, and Jim Carrey
Synopsis: I remember playing Sonic for hours as a kid. It was the premier game for Sega, and was a whole lot of fun. In the same way that the new emulators of these classic video games systems are meant to stir nostalgia in folks like me of a certain age, I would wager the makers of "Sonic The Hedgehog" were hoping that would boost the audience. It also is aimed at reaching kids, and introducing a whole new crew to this speedy blue marvel. And from the first couple weekends at the Box Office, that seems to have worked. But is it a good and enduring movie? It is most certainly not. I didn't have super high expectations for the film, but I was hoping it would be entertaining. For me, this felt like a chore. It's just 99 minutes, but it felt much longer at times. Marsden and Sumpter are fine actors, but it's tough to act against a blue screen and a cartoon performance from Carrey. This feels like something right in Carrey's wheel house, but also feels like a performance and a cartoon caricature he's given a number of times. And yet, that might be the best thing about this film. I'm sure for small kids the bright colors, sight gags, etc. will work just fine. But if you were hoping for something that strikes a wider audience and something that could resonate with older audiences, I find this film completely lacking. February has been a tough month at the movies, one that hasn't greatly impressed me. And Sonic, while profitable, might be the biggest bummer of all.
Rating: PG for action, some violence, rude humor and brief mild language.
Verdict: One star out of four.

Upcoming Releases:
Friday, February 28
: "The Invisible Man"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43