Best of the Decade, No. 21


Over the next 25 weeks I'll be rolling out my favorite films of the last decade. This is, as all lists of this kind, personal selections. Agree, disagree, make a comment and share your thoughts!

No. 21 Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (2018)
Starring:
Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, Mahershala Ali, Brian Tyree Henry, Lily Tomlin, Zoe Kravitz, Nicholas Cage, and Chris Pine
Director: Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, and Rodney Rothman
Academy Award Nominations: 1
Academy Award Wins: Best Animated Feature
About: This week begins my three-week look at the Super Hero films that stood out to me, and helped drive the genre forward. This was a huge decade for Super Hero films, with many dominated at the Box Office each year. They've become some of the most bankable films, and ones that pull in huge swaths of talent. And while not all films are created equal in this way, there are some that really stood out. The first of those is the animated wonder "Into the Spiderverse." I didn't know what to expect when I went to see this film in December 2018, in fact I didn't have big expectations. But what I saw was an incredible piece of storytelling, one that really stuck with me. And I wasn't alone. This film quickly became a big player at the Box Office and during awards season. And in the biggest surprise, this became the first Super Hero film to win a best film award. It won for Best Animated Feature, and it was the right winner. This was the rare Super Hero film that was not only completely engaging, but drove the medium forward, particularly as it relates to animation. It's eminently rewatchable, has a great blend of humor and action and really tells an incredible story. I loved the experience of this film, and it's certainly one that sticks out to me as I think back on the last decade. If you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?
Rating: PG for frenetic sequences of animated action violence, thematic elements, and mild language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43