Picard ends first season


From the beginning, we knew that "Star Trek: Picard" wasn't meant to be a re-boot of "The Next Generation." And true to that idea, it wasn't. The first season, 10-episodes in all, ended with the finale that was released on Thursday. If you haven't seen the finale, or the show, you might want to avoid this post.

"Star Trek: Picard" was a show that I recommended based on a strong pilot and decent second episode. But as I noted when I caught up with the series a few weeks ago, there were some lags in the action. Despite that, around the middle of the season the plot became a bit more clear. And, in fact, the seventh episode of the season, which brought back some old friends, was my favorite of the season and one of my favorite episodes of any show this year.

In fact, I thought the back half of the season was strong, and the finale was satisfying. While I wasn't always taken with the plot of season one, the characters and performances were strong, and that made it endearing. I'm excited to see what will happen in a potential season two. I also wonder if the series won't benefit from including some familiar faces again, at least from time-to-time. While the story of Data (Brent Spinner) is over, there are other familiar faces it would be nice to see.

In fact, the two episodes with Jonathan Frakes' Will Riker were my favorite of the season, and the way he plays off Patrick Stewart, like a pair of old friends, is so much fun it really brought out the best in the show.

Thanks to Stewart and CBS, all 10 episodes are now available for free, too. If you haven't seen it, you should check out the series. It was an enjoyable ride, and should be a nice, easy binge during this time when we're all finding ourselves with some more time on our hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43