Favorite Broncos, No. 23



I miss football, and sports in general. I'm guessing you do, too. And in the place of actual games, we've been seeing a lot of countdowns of classic games, players, etc. And that got me thinking about my own favorite team, the Denver Broncos. I have loved the Denver Broncos since I was a little kid, more than 30 years of fandom. I started watching them in the late 1980s, and have been faithful ever since. So I thought it might be fun to take a little walk down memory lane and consider my favorite players from those teams. So this is just a personal list, that will be presented in reverse order starting at number 30. Agree, disagree, have your own stories? Share them in the comments.

No. 23 Elvis Dumervil (2006-2012)
About:
As the countdown continues, we get to a guy who played his heart out for Denver before heading to rival Baltimore thanks to some kind of technical fax issue. That was heart-breaking. I wish Dumervil had finished his career a Bronco, but to me he'll always be one. He was a fireplug and a talent on defense during a period where the team just wasn't that successful. He played two seasons alongside Von Miller, and it would have been fun to see more. But, alas, it wasn't to be. In his six years playing for the Broncos Dumervil was a wrecking ball on defense. He amassed an interception, 10 passes defensed, 16 forced fumbles, nine fumble recoveries and 63.5 sacks. This includes 17 sacks in 2009 where he was selected to his first Pro Bowl and named a First Team All Pro. He missed the 2010 season with a torn pectoral muscle, but bounced back to have Pro Bowl seasons in 2011 and 2012 before leaving for Baltimore. And Dumervil had a strong rest of his career, too. In four seasons with the Ravens he made the Pro Bowl twice, including another 17-sack season in 2014. It was always tough to see him in that uniform, but I was happy to see a player I like succeed. He's the first of two players on this list I loved that played with the Ravens... Dumervil probably doesn't get the credit or remembrance he deserves because he was a star during a period of little success for Denver. He came in 2006, after the AFC Championship season, and left after 2012, before Peyton Manning's historic season. In the middle he was part of the brief Jay Cutler era, the brief and painful Josh McDaniels era, and there for some Tebowing. He was also there to see the Ravens blast past the Broncos in Manning's first year and make it to the Super Bowl with Joe Flacco. His impact on the field and the fun I had watching him are a big part of why Dumervil made this list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43