Best of the Decade, No. 9



Over the next 25 weeks I'll be rolling out my favorite films of the last decade. This is, as all lists of this kind, personal selections. Agree, disagree, make a comment and share your thoughts!

No. 9 A Quiet Place (2018)
Starring:
John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Noah Jupe, and Millicent Simmonds
Director: John Krasinski
Academy Award Nominations: 1
Academy Award Wins: 0
About: As we've moved to the Top 10, we're getting toward films that I really enjoyed. "A Quiet Place" was my favorite scripted film of 2018, and one I've seen a couple times since. I am looking forward to the sequel at some point this year, too, though I remain cautious about how this story might continue. I loved the pacing and design here, and I thought this was a movie that was very creative in the way it was put together. Blunt is an extraordinary performer, and I thought she really stretched herself with this. But Krasinski was quite good as well. He has some great scenes opposite Blunt and a great sequence with Jupe, but it's his relationship with Simmonds that is really the heart of the film for me. There is a scene, when he is expressing some profound parental love through sign language in the midst of a crisis that gutted me when I first saw it and remains powerful to this day for me. This isn't probably the typical kind of film you'd expect to see atop this list, but for me this was a powerful experience, and one I didn't expect. I think this is an underrated film that features some incredible craft.
Rating: PG-13 for terror and some bloody images.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43