Best of the Decade, No. 5



Over the next 25 weeks I'll be rolling out my favorite films of the last decade. This is, as all lists of this kind, personal selections. Agree, disagree, make a comment and share your thoughts!

No. 5 Star Wars, Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
Starring
: Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher
Director: Rian Johnson
Academy Award Nominations: 4
Academy Award Wins: 0
About: This was a controversial movie when it came out, and no doubt is one of the surprises on this list. This was the middle part of the new trilogy, coming from Johnson. And this was a different kind of film. It felt like this was completely polarizing, you either loved it or hated it. I, clearly, loved it. I was incredibly moved by the characters and the stories. This was a fantastic theater experience, too. I saw it four times in the theater, and continued to be moved each time. In fact, I was so taken with it that I was surprised that people had such a negative reaction. I've read and heard the argument that it dismisses the characters and achievements from the early films, I simply don't agree. And the visuals here are stunning at times. The performances from Hamill, Ridley and Driver are great, too. I loved this film, it is my favorite "Star Wars" film, and I thought it was the best of 2017. That's why it makes the Top 5 in this countdown.
Rating: PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi action and violence. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43